Thursday 13 October 2022

Updates, critters

I think I've calmed down some from our big meeting Tuesday. I had a massage yesterday, and came home a little more relaxed. I only managed to sleep in until 4:45 this morning. Ah well. 

There was a buzz about, as we geared up for this meeting. There were about 90 people there, and with about 3285 households in DNE Township (Statcan, 2021), that is a huge attendance for such a meeting. We don't feel alone anymore. We don't expect anything to happen for a couple of months. I am encouraged by my faithful readers' comments, yet Patio Postcards 's story about her horse makes me sad. My friend, whose family worked at the palace with the Queen's horses, suggested that one of Ian Millar's internationally acclaimed horses is worth $1 million and a foal around $50K. His daughter, Amy Millar, spoke to the difficulties of working near the gunfire.

I was amazed, too, to see so many 'neighbours' we'd never met! Most of whom were wearing masks. Our homes are scattered, but a lot of us are united in opposing this gun club. A lot of people depend of happy tourists for their income here in cottage country. Guests aren't happy hearing gun fire. 

😷Josephine has recovered from COVID. We skipped Thanksgiving for safety. It's heartwarming to get a photo and text from a grandie, asking me to help ID a snake she found! Ain't technology grand?! A northern red belly. I've caught a few here. Dorah brought one into the house once (2016). She tended to do that, bring her friends in to play!

When our young people have a love of nature, you know they are on the right track. They respect wetlands, and ecosystems. 

🍁 We continue to embrace the season. Saying goodbye to our summer critters as they prepare for winter is poignant. Maybe not so much for the hornets.

🐝  Hornets 2022

The hornet nest bears watching, but they have slowed down quite a bit. Soon they'll regroup, the old ones dying off and the new ones hibernating under the ground. I've complained about the crazy invasive lady beetles, but look what they did. What else but these aggressive biting bugs would have the nerve to land on the opening of the hornet's nest?!



This is a photo from Aug. 6th, when I first noticed it. 

🦌A rainy, cloudy day Wednesday, I've had some critters on trailcams. I think this is a deer, and a rabbit on the driveway. One posts one's successful trailcam captures, but the failures are a hoot.

 

mysteries from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I enjoy the porcupine waddling by!
 

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Chad coyote is almost just a blur!

coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

And our young buck...

young buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've rain on the way. I'm glad I did some outdoor chores yesterday. Slowly the garden is being put to bed. I guess today is a day for indoor chores. Dang. 😜 

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I do not like hearing the gunfire, we have a neighbor that does practice shooting in his back yard. It sounds awful. The porcupine waddling by is cute.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...$1 million for a horse?

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, Tom. Ian Millar has an international reputation for excellence. He's represented Canada for many years as a show jumper. He is recognised as an expert and raises horses for show jumping.

" He holds the record for most Olympic appearances by any athlete in any sport. A member of Canada's 2012 Olympic Games team, he broke the record when he took part in his tenth Games in London 2012."

Barbara Rogers said...

Good that you had massage, and some rest. I've been hibernating for several days - but must push myself to be out in the beautiful weather. I think I just shook off a cold, or maybe allergies.

Christine said...

Hubby did outdoor chores a couple days ago when it was 22C

William Kendall said...

Oh well to the rain. It's been a few days since we had any.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Congratulations on finding the Northern red-bellied Snake. Always a great discovery.

RedPat said...

I'm glad you are feeling a bit less anxious. It is such a horrible feeling.

Elephant's Child said...

As I said yesterday, I really hope the 'right' decision is made.
Love your critters and would am super impressed that you see them so regularly.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Near Tulsa's Oxley Nature Center and Mohawk Park, there is a police firing range, a Sheriff's department range, and a private range all right together. Somedays when I'm hiking in the woods it sounds like world war II all over again especially when the law enforcement guys are shooting their automatic weapons. Not very relaxing at all. It would be awful if there were homes nearby.

I love your trailcam shots, that beaver is wonderful.

Red said...

Hearings on zoning can be tense as we don't know how things will turn out. Obviously you know that.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy the seasonal changes, and it's nice to see you explore it in your area.

It's encouraging to find so many like-minded neighbors.