Wednesday 5 October 2022

It's a busy yard!

Well, my end-of-season chores are underway. Good question about the chestnuts, Patio Postcards. I don't eat them, I save them as decor and throw them out in winter. They red squirrel drops them, but doesn't eat them after they fall!

Yesterday, I used the kids' power washer on the flag stones. I'll have a new project next spring, (maybe!) lifting the stones and putting sand underneath. They seem to be sinking. 

🐠Today is goldfish day. It is supposed to be sunny, although we're at 2 C. right now. I'll drain the pond a bit, and give it a go. Tomorrow is supposed to be fine, as well, but tomorrow I'm getting my Spikevax shot. I'll assume it'll all go fine, but I will have two days to get fish in. They can be stubborn! 

😷Josephine is managing COVID. We texted yesterday afternoon and she said she was sniffly, cough and a runny nose. Mom says she was throwing up in the evening. Poor kid. This is going around the schools. 

🦌 I learned two new things the other day. We noticed that the fawn has lost its spots. A significant sign of Autumn. Then, I wondered, when do we stop calling it a fawn? I found the answer. They would be a fawn for the first year, and a yearling in year 2. 

I noticed pedicles on our fawn, where the antlers will grow. They are called spikes when a yearling has them. Caitlin calls them pickle stabbers! 

clover & fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🕷️ TICKS 2022

I had a tick, again. Just crawling on my hand. It's been stuck inside a piece of tape, and gone to tick heaven 😜. We've done pretty well this year, especially since the cats have their meds to keep them away.

Happily the turkeys are around. They eat ticks, bless their hearts. I spotted them out back.

turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The turkeys and chicks in the forest! 

  

Cinnamon has been out on Oliver's Lot. Nutmeg is still confined to barracks. 

Butch is fattening up for winter. They are omnivores and eat anything!

 

Butch + 3 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Fred groundhog is still around. I think he just shelters under the lower deck. When he hears us open the back door, he'll scramble to seek shelter, then peek his head out. I call, "Hi, Fred!" and he'll recognize me and come back out. 


He's made two holes, one in and one out. I don't think it's a burrow, just an escape plan. His burrow is at the end of the septic bed!


Fred under the deck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The buck turned up in the dark.
 

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The doe turned up in the daytime. Gotta love that tail! 

15 comments:

William Kendall said...

Good luck with the goldfish!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have a new crush... and it's called Fred!!! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Gobble gobble...what fun critters today. Pickle stickers wins! But that tail is certainly something to see too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Our groundhogs have moved on I think though why with a perfectly fine 10 acres here, I don't know. Also haven't seen turkeys lately but something has been doing a number on the bird feeder, bent the steel bar! We are going to put out our cam to maybe see it.
Love seeing all your critters of course. I guess the plan is to let covid run rampant from now on. I don't seem to be getting your posts in my email anymore.

Elephant's Child said...

You are soooo right about that tail.
Thank you. As always.

Nancy J said...

How our days and lives, no matter where we live, revolve round the weather.In our far south snow is falling, lambs at risk, we are cold in our area, and snow north and south of us so far. Love that white fluffed out tail.!!!

RedPat said...

I love that you have made friends with Fred.

Cloudia said...

You really are a carer of nature! So lovely visit you every day. I wish you all the best and may your peace never be disturbed

Cloudia said...

Always such a pleasure to be here

The Furry Gnome said...

You really do have a busy yard! Great post.

Jeanie said...

Patio postcards! I LOVE that! And I've never heard it before. Very clever. And fun videos today, too!

River said...

I've never seen a doe tail that big and fluffy. I wondered about when to stop calling a baby deer a fawn too.
Hope you get the goldfish safely.

Divers and Sundry said...

The deer information is interesting. I didn't know the names for the antlers...

I have a fondness for wild turkeys and love that you see them as an everyday thing.

I trust the goldfish project goes well. It sounds like a lot of work.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That deer's tail is absolutely incredible! I've seen a million deer but never anything like that. I am so sorry to hear that your granddaughter caught the dreaded covid, (and glad to hear from your later post above that she is getting better.) At least people know more about it now.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for Turkeys! Hate the ricks...they are active here again too. That white tail deer is sure pretty! :)