Monday 17 October 2022

Leaves and hornets

 HORNETS!

As I was walking towards the shed, I noticed what I thought was part of a wasp nest on the ground. My thinking is that a critter got up there! I don't know, it could have been our fisher, weasel, or other nocturnal visitors. 


The pieces were all scattered under the nest. This one wasp was the only one I could see.  All the cells look empty. It appears as if the queens have mated and the new queens have gone underground as is their way. 





Also on the ground was a little red-eyed vireo nest. 


Falling leaves

The leaves are well on their way to leaving us.  






My SIL says they look like cheesies! 

I was all hot to trot and mulch the leaves with the lawn tractor. Sadly the battery was dead! I plugged it in overnight and it was good to go. There is no point in raking, just mulching! 
There were several wood frogs I had to avoid. Critters everywhere...


It is difficult getting work done! This looked like a buccaneer. 

14 comments:

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jennifer,
What a wonderful pictures.
Amazing the golden colors of the leaves. The autumn is a nice time of the year to photograph.

Many greetings,
Marco

Tom said...

...we had hornets in our house last year.

eileeninmd said...

The fall colors are beautiful, gorgeous trees.
Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

Jeanie said...

Oh no! Hate hornets!!!

Patio Postcards said...

I am always amazed at the artistry in a hornets nest. One of our neighbours had a huge wasp nest in their French Lilac shrub - their solution to get rid of the wasps was to cut the Lilac to the ground :(

I did chuckle at the trees looking like cheezies - I can no longer unsee that reference! :)

William Kendall said...

Glorious fall colours. I think I'm done photographing for the season.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

At least at this time of the year you weren't set upon by a swarm of angry, stinging hornets. Their nests are little architectural wonders.

RedPat said...

That would be a brave creature to attack a hornet's nest.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for sharing these beauties and wonders.

Nancy J said...

Hornets, they are clever to make their nest like that. Leaves, years ago we were in the South Island Central Otago area, and the ground was an orange carpet.The colder climate gives those deep glorious colours , like yours.

River said...

The trees are beautifully coloured now. I'm glad you mulch the leaves. Many people rake and burn them, which I think is wasteful.

Cloudia said...

Delighted that critters are everywhere. I so enjoy my time in the country with you, Jenn

Red said...

Very bright and colorful leaves at your place.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am trying to play catch up here. I know I will never catch up and make art at the same time, so today I am visiting and trying to see what is going on in your life.

I am with you on raking. Mulching is the best way to go and it is free mulch for your yard, flower beds, and gardens, too.