Friday 28 October 2022

Chores, dentist, Carleton Place

 What a day we had the other day. This morning it is -4˚ C. and a bit chilly. We have had some mild weather, but this might be it! It was a good day. I redid the outdoor lights. JB bought me some more white ones. It was a bit sparse. Plus I reconfigured the backyard ones. The tag on it really should come off. Maybe I'll read it first!

The problem with outdoor lights is that none of them have any standards for connection. It's like VHS and Beta. Poor JB and a clerk were trying to find a new string, I adapted it with an extension cord.

It was a good day's work. I cleaned one side of the eavestrough on the garage, the maple is done. I'll do the other side once the catalpa loses all of its leaves! Laundry, and vacuuming were done. I did some more gardening, more leaf mulching. I like my lawn tractor! 

This morning, at 4 a.m., there was an interesting Ideas show on the discovery of the Erebus and Terror. It was too good to sleep through. It was fascinating that Inuit had the knowledge of survival, but Franklin's men didn't know how to hunt or fish in the Arctic. Inuit found a cairn, with a note regarding the date of his death, and their knowledge led to the discovery.

The next show was about civil wars in Sri Lanka. I thought I might as well get up. We've been so wrapped up in research on this gun club proposal that I haven't had the energy to visit all of you. I shall remedy that. Also, I had to go to Carleton Place to have a teeth cleaning. On the way, I spotted a crew cleaning up the ditches. Good to see. I did ours in the spring. 


I just love the red roof, don't you?

Along the highway, a crow carrying its Tim Horton's takeout.

Some bush hog action!


I like Carleton Place. These are condos. What a clever way to repurpose a church. At least I think it was a church! (Do you know, AC?)

This lad was a bit of a mystery. Barefoot, and carrying a skateboard.

During my appointment, JB kindly went to Boulton House to grab me some takeaway. He wanted to show me the restaurant that had the fire in September. There is still debris. There were tenants living upstairs, similarly displaced.

On a happier note, sumacs are on their last hurrah! They are beautiful!

17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I joined the early risers today, after tossing from 4:30, I got up for coffee and toast and and an egg at 5:45. What a waste of energy moving about in bed like a butter churn! I had my Shingles shot yesterday, so took some more Tylenol since the pharmacist said it might be uncomfortable. Just wonder how I'm going to make it through the day... anyway...I enjoyed your posts. I sure understand when you don't have time to read everyone's...I often skip over when I know I've got to go to an appointment early!

Christine said...

Nice to be out and about in early fall!

Tom said...

...that sure looks like a former church to me!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The ex-church is imposing - the red roof is for me! YAM xx

RedPat said...

Love the bird with the Tim's takeout.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I had my teeth cleaned yesterday too and today our eavestroughs are being replaced, so there is a connection here!

Elephant's Child said...

That does indeed look like it was a church in an earlier incarnation. You have been busy. Again.
Love the sumacs.

Red said...

The barefoot guy has very dirty feet!

William Kendall said...

If you get the chance, read Michael Palin's book on the voyages of the Erebus and Terror.

Kay said...

Yup... I agree that it sure does look like a church.
What?!? Civil War in Sri Lanka? My son and family are there right now.

Patio Postcards said...

Seeing your wrapped birdbath/fountain with lights, I immediately thought of the Darleks from Dr Who.

Anvilcloud said...

Yeah, but I don't know what church it was. There was a movie theatre in there when we arrived in 2005. It was in the basement. For awhile there was a fitness place upstairs or part of the upstairs.

Cloudia said...

Barefoot and carrying skateboard maybe on his way to San Francisco or Vancouver knows?

Lorrie said...

You've been keeping very busy, and up early, too. Do you find that you sleep very well the next night?

Jenn Jilks said...

To answer your question, Lorrie, not always. The stress of fighting this gun range is tiresome. I keep going over it in my mind.

Jeanie said...

THose church condos are really nice looking, at least from the outside. I have the same problem with outdoor outlets as you and this year I ordered some solar "fireworks" lights which I have by my door and I'll put some in back where I can actually see them myself. I love them -- had them at the lake this summer. They make me smile!

Divers and Sundry said...

Brrr! We're having warmer than usual temps here. I still think you're a brave soul to do all that eave work. It'd be interesting to see photos of the condo interiors. That sumac is gorgeous!