Tuesday 19 October 2021

Cinnamon, deermice, horse chestnuts

There is a cat saying, 'If I fits I sits!' He doesn't fit. With the cooler weather he is back to sitting in my lap sometimes. 

We went off for walkies. Or runnies! Maybe climbies. Everyday I can, I ask him if he wants to go walkies. He knows the word. 



I love this tree system. I love the whole forest!

I think it is the raccoons. They've ripped off the baffle for the second one, as well. I won't bother repairing it until spring. At that time, I'll clear out the old shavings, and add some clean ones.



It's difficult walking on the dock! The native phragmites are dying off for winter.

I checked out wood duck nesting box #3. There was a deer mouse checking me out. They've been here before. I rather expected it this time and didn't scream like a girl. You can see the dark spot in the middle lower shavings.

Sept. 17, 2020; Mushrooms, nesting boxes, walkies. My goodness they are adorable!

We're back up to a handful of frogs in the wee goldfish pond. I hurt my foot doing it last week. My tenosynovitis kicked in. A bit of ice, and TLC, and it is better. I've ordered a new brace, since I cannot find my old one. It's worth it, as prevention. 
I shall wait a few days to move another 10 of them. I don't want them to overwinter in the shallow pond.

 I used the lawn tractor to mulch the leaves, and returned it to the shed. There was a deermouse staring at me on the shelf. We have a lot of mice friends! Can you see this one? Nope. Gone, quick as a wink.


We've not had many horse chestnuts in the past. This year there is a bounty. They really are conkers. As I was fishing last week, I could hear the odd thump on the ground. I tucked them into Peter's wagon.

They are quite large, as the tree matures. I think the tree was planted here, maybe 30 years ago. 

I went out one morning, and about a half dozen chestnuts were scattered on the deck. With little raccoon teeth marks. Apparently, they aren't too tasty. 

Our bought gladiolas are done. We bought these pretty fake leaves in Almonte the other day. A lot of our trees have shed their leaves, so this is a touch of colour indoors.

Signs of fall: there are a lot of Isabella caterpillars out there. It is so peaceful watching them, as long as they aren't on the driveway. 

9 comments:

Tom said...

..I remember collecting chestnuts when I was a kid.

William Kendall said...

Cats are always entertaining.

RedPat said...

It's conker time!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ooh, that vase and 'leaves' is a gorgeous burst of warm colour... as is your new header (although I recognise by the road that the image itself is from an earlier year). Do the kids play conkers the way we did as kids? (Was that even a thing in Canada? Stringing them and then fighting with them?) YAM xx

Out To Pasture said...

Beautiful trees in your masthead, Jennifer. Are those horse chestnuts palatable for humans?

Linda said...

Ah-h-h, playing conkers was a great game when growing up in England.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice header!

Cloudia said...

I love you forest and your frogs. Please feel better

Jeanie said...

I"m sorry you're not feeling well. I love seeing around your property and area. And your cat! Lizzie has one word in her vocabulary that she acknowledges -- "Food!" I suspect she knows more and just isn't telling me!

Happy weekend.