Saturday 22 October 2022

Saturday's Critters

 When did it get to be Saturday again?! We are taking great joy in watching our critters. I say 'our' as if we own them, but we are happy to watch them, watch over them, and share their antics. 

We've had an uptake in critters on the cameras, as they seek food, look for winter yards, and deer hunting season ramps up. Sadly, hunting season is here. When we lived in Muskoka we would all be very aware of the seasons and avoid walking on Crown Land. Here, I prepare just so I know what the guns are about. Our neighbour hunted, he's since sold, and we could hear it. We had our property properly marked so he'd know his boundary. 

Of course in Muskoka there was moose hunting. We don't get many moose here. We had to make a special trip to Algonquin Park for that.

First you figure out your Wildlife Management Unit on the  WMU map. We are 67. Then you go to the Deer season (Nov. 7 - 20 here). 

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾
I hope you liked my chipmunk video yesterday. (I've never seen a chippie doggie digging!) Here are Clover and her boy.

 

clover and fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Wait until the end when the fawn bounds into view! We should have a name for the fawn, but once he grows a tad, we may not be able to ID him!

I'm thinking the baby porcupine has taken over Fred groundhog's den. Fred has disappeared, I haven't seen him in a few days or week. (You know how time passes!)  Josephine has named the baby porcupine (porcupette) Charlie! I like that. 

baby porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

↑ Oct 18 in the backyard. What is fun is that Clover and her fawn come into the yard. The fawn seems interested in the baby, but loses interest, happily! They all go back to grazing. The porcupine just ignores all of us!

↓ Just for comparison, this is the adult porcupine we saw in the front yard Aug. 20!

 

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

And the tabby who visits us. 😼Oregano

 

oregano from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Thanks to Eileen for hosting! 

Saturday's Critters # 462

16 comments:

William Kendall said...

Porcupines make me smile.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love seeing the moose, love the photos. The porcupine would be a new critter for me. Great post. I am with you on fighting the gun range.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...I've never seen a moose in the wild, maybe someday.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The porcupines are so crazy looking! Thanks for sharing your sightings!

Barbara Rogers said...

Great photos of moose, deer, porcupines etc! I did enjoy Mr. Chipmunk's digging so vigorously. He was happy to have some soft dirt to go through.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn, :=)
.
Good shots of the Moose, I will never see one in real life, nor a Porcupine. You get such amazing visitors on your mapped out property.
Enjoy your weekend.

RedPat said...

The sound of gunshot would freak me out. Your creatures are safe on your property at least.

Nancy J said...

Love your wildlife right there in your own property. Those chipmunks, even the young one looks quite a good size.

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE your wildlife. Fortunately we have no hunters nearby. The sound of gunshots would freak me out. And just to mess with your mind, it is Sunday here. Early, but definitely Sunday.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn , I couldn't believe the snow happening your way ! .. made me shiver.
In Kingston right now ? .. a beautiful 20 degrees and even better for tomorrow while I am in the garden working hard to plant the rest of my bulbs and transplanting a few plants .. couldn't ask for better weather right now !
I so LOVED the chipmunk video ! we have a weakness for them ..but of course the neighborhood squirrels ran them out of the territory.
The little fawn is so sweet ... and baby porcupines have to make you smile.
I cringe about hunting season .. that makes my heart drop when we can hear any miscellaneous shots even here. Your moose shots are amazing !!

Kay said...

Wow! I think I've seen a wild porcupine only once in my life.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Lovely critter photos, as usual!

Lorrie said...

I grew up in northern BC where moose were a common sight. They always make me smile.

Anvilcloud said...

A Flickr friend from near pakenham posted a coyote from his window. He got a close shot.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh wow! Porcupines and moose. What else could you ask for, except maybe a fawn!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'd have to go quite a distance to see a moose. I'm not even sure where would be the closest place, but far away.

What fun that you have such a variety of creatures you can catch on video :)