Monday 22 August 2022

Cinnamon and the porcupine, Hornets

Firstly , it is our 20th wedding anniversary today! Happy Anniversary to my beloved hubby. He is a peach! It seems like yesterday it was our 10th Wedding Anniversary! 


Secondly, to explain: 

I called them Freedimmers, because the disabled world doesn't like the 'dumb' description. It is pejorative, in that people who are aphasic (unable to speak), aren't dumb. They cannot speak. Language is important, and should be inclusive. When we know better, we do better!

Porcupine

OK, back to my stories. Saturday, Aug. 20, began in an interesting way. I let the cat out for his run, and I spotted a porcupine. So did Cinnamon. Nutmeg didn't want out, which was a good thing.

porcupine Aug 20 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon was approaching the porcupine with great interest. I just didn't know how close he was prepared to get. I honestly threw a stick beside Cinn, which didn't phase Porcupine. Cinn gave me a confused look, but retreated. Throwing another stick towards him, he retreated further onto the driveway.


While I was watching Cinnamon and Porky, I turned around and saw Fred. The groundhog disappeared. 

 

groundhog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

To distract Cinnamon, I decided to take him Walkies. We went down to lot #3, past the trailcam and into the forest. There was a situation, with flicker feathers. He was quite keen on checking it out. He hasn't appeared on the trailcam, so I don't think it was him. He prefers rodents. 

Later, Cinnamon was sitting on the lower deck. The lower deck is busy, with Fred having dug a hole under the deck. Cinnamon was watching it. The hole. 


Not only that, but there were three tree frogs out back. One inside the rolled up hose, one above the kitchen window, and one, Maple, in her corner. The two males vocalized in the afternoon, which let me find them. They are so cute!


Cinnamon didn't come back in until 2:30, he followed me around, sat on the deck with me, but no way would he come in. 

hummingbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

You'll have to work hard to spot her. Just to the left of the red hanging basket.

Morning walkies for JB. Fortunately, the bugs have lessened. 

Hornets

I learned something on Sunday reading Twitter. Our 'paper wasps' are actually hornets. I don't think it matters. They are high and dry, even in our rain! Even in the wind, it bops up and down safely.

Wasps do this:

All hornets are wasps, but not all wasps are hornets, I read. The major difference is size. Hornets are larger, some species get up to 5.5 cm. Wasps are black and yellow, hornets black and white rings. Both are in the Vespidae family. The hornets have two sets of wings. You may recall The wasp saga and The Wasp Saga Part 2 (Aug. 2020), when poor Izzy got stung.  These are quite clearly hornets!

Well, you are up to date, almost! I was on the phone Sunday planning the hostage exchange with Caitlin – for later today. Momma doe and fawn showed up. (I'll put the images together later for a video.) 

After Isabelle's appointment, we'll meet up. We'd planned to all go and eat dinner on a patio, but it looks like rain. We had 10 mm yesterday. It is most welcome. 

18 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Porky looks to have a shortened (possibly pawless) front right limb... I love that you have these critters sharing your property! Even the bigs and insects are interesting... YAM xx

Elizabeth Edwards said...

always fun when you find that special someone ...what a true blessing. happy week for ya. foggy this AM ...the humidity is higher than Maine ...we got back from a quick like 4-day trip ...500 plus on each going and coming back. all good. safe travels. but we are missing those loons. such a pleasant peaceful call. was laughing when we tried to get here or there, they wanted (the GPS) to take us on back roads, logging roads, ATV vehicle roads or even Canadian roads ...which right now there are not passports we let them expire with all that silliness that did happen the past what 3 yrs. we will get back up there one day. God willing. be well. Happy Anniversary to such a great couple. u all are so sweet. great picture. ( :

Anvilcloud said...

Happy 20th.

Kathy G said...

Happy anniversary!

eileeninmd said...

Happy 20th Anniversary! Great collection of photos, I love the frogs.
Take care, have a great new week!

Christine said...

Happy 20th wedding anniversary!

Mae Travels said...

I've never seen a porcupine, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Barbara Rogers said...

Congrats on you love birds of 20 years! Whoo hoo! I enjoyed todays' critters adventures, as always!

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Anniversary! and may you enjoy many more happy years together :)

I don't know the different kinds of wasps, but I was happy to see our wasps build in a place out of the way this year. I love your frogs :) I have to go to the park to see them.

DUTA said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! Wishing you many happy years together!

RedPat said...

Happy anniversary to you both. I'm glad that cat and porcupine didn't get too close.

Elephant's Child said...

Happy anniversary.
Freedimmers strikes me as the perfect name. I think that their lightbulbs ARE dim.
And how I love and enjoy the wildlife that visits you.

Nancy J said...

Many Anniversary wishes for a wonderful day. Yes, I,too, noticed that Porky has a right front leg that he is holding off the ground, looks like it might have got caught in a trap or had some other accident. You have such a varied visiting wildlife.

William Kendall said...

Happy anniversary!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy wedding anniversary, Jenn.

You have great confidence in Cinnamon. I'd be afraid one of mine get bitten.

Thanks for explaining about the wasps. I definitely have a few wasps in my garden who stop by in the morning for a drink of water.

Red said...

happy anniversary. I hope you have a great day and many more anniversaries.

Jeanie said...

Well, I'm glad you got to Cinnamon before the porky did! And a big happy anniversary!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Anniversary!