Monday 29 August 2022

The House Wrens are gone!

🐣HOUSE WRENS

This is the egg left in the first nesting in May/June
So teeny weeny!

The wrens have fledged for the second time, and I cleaned out the boxes. They must have left on Friday, Aug. 19th, when we were away for lunch. You would have laughed! The boxes sit on a bracket, you can see it in the screen images below. It was the only way I could think of mounting them. 

Goodbye little wrens! Fly safely!


August 20th

I put the ladder up. Grabbing the cordless drill, I actually tested it. Dead battery. I switched them out and I climbed up. I couldn't get access to the screws underneath, as the top ladder wrung was blocking it. Back down the ladder, lower it one step, and back UP the ladder. I managed to remove two of the three screws, but the third was stubborn. Back down the ladder for a screwdriver. Back up the ladder and I removed the third screw, and climbed down with the drill, and nesting box in either hand.

It is impressive, isn't it? They are teeny birds, and really stuff it in order to prevent other birds from entering. The only way of cleaning the boxes is to remove the bottom.


It's rather cool that they butted the nest up against the back wall. It was so delightful to hear them chittering for food. If they heard me, they shut right up.


I washed the inside of the box, and left it to dry. I know I'd seen them taking sticks into the red and white box, so after the green box dried, and I rehung it, I worked on that one. Washed the box off, debris removed, back up the ladder with the box in one hand, the drill in my other. This time there was a ledge beside my ladder. Despite that, I dropped a screw. I set the nest box on the top rung of the ladder to better hold the drill, and it fell off hitting me in the face and collar bone. Just to add injury to insult! 


Ta da! Ready for next year! That said, I'm still peeking out of the kitchen window looking for them. 

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Your birdhouses are cute. My House Wrens have been gone for awhile.
I thought they left early. Take care, have a happy new week!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

cute bird boxes. we have wrens ...they have been pretty quiet lately?? i always wonder why that happens with some of my more vocal birdies?? do they get scared by hawks or what is going on? makes you curious. have a super great week. take care. ( ;

DeniseinVA said...

Such fun to see your bird boxes, very decorative and so nice to be able to keep an eye on them from your kitchen window. Your bracket idea is very clever! How lovely to see wren activity and those tiny eggs, so delicate! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what was inside your box but ouch, I hope your collar bone isn’t sore. You keep your wrens happy with such cute and clean accommodations, that’s for sure. Have a great week Jenn :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to sight some nesting boxes where you can see the birds coming and going. I have a sculptural house that became a nest one year, and I haven't a great place to pull out all the sticks and leaves in it...so have just left it as is, with the natural stuff kind of merging with the clay form.

Gaelyn said...

The nests and bird watching are fun. You're a good caretaker.

Divers and Sundry said...

Wrens are fun to watch. They've abandoned our patio space for now and haven't nested here in several years. Maybe I need a box like yours :) In the meantime I'll enjoy your photos :)

RedPat said...

You provide a wonderful home for them.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

We had two cycles of house wrens in the back yard. They took advantage of a pot that had a misaligned cover and they made the most of it. For such tiny birds they sure are loud.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you on their behalf.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your bird houses ...

All the best Jan

Red said...

Great story about your effort to clean out the bird houses. the good thing is you didn't get hurt. Another good thing is that you got lots of exercise.

William Kendall said...

They have it made.

Ontario Wanderer said...

We have both Carolina Wrens and House Wrens at our place. A House Wren visited me at my brush pile sit spot this morning. I thought at first it was gong to come into the pile with me but it didn't. Our Carolina Wren often stays all winter.

Anvilcloud said...

What furnishing in those houses, and you certainly had your ups and downs in the retrieving process. 😀

We once had two arty birdhouses (we still do) but after use, we realized that they weren’t made to clean out. They were purely decorative.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn, I missed this post, so I'll look at your skies later. What cute bird boxes and you cleaned them out with some difficulty and a lot of patience. Good for you! I hope your hurt collar bone is now OK
All the best.