Monday 1 August 2022

I have tales and stories

Firstly, we need rain. More evidence of Climate Change abounds around the world: fires and floods. Finally our eaves is finally done to satisfaction, barring another storm, which will prove it one way or the other. 

Before, during, and after:




I think they are as irritated with this job as we are. They turned up, didn't ring the doorbell. They worked. They left. No face-to-face contact at all. We'll need a storm to let us know if it works. I am glad they came back. It's been such a trial. My gut has been in knots, but I was better Sunday now that, I think, it is done.

I have stories! I hope you giggle. I need a giggle.

These are my lilies. We will see if Clover, the doe, comes for them! I had to take a photo of the buds for posterity. The chicken wire won't keep her out, but the hostas are denuded and she hasn't been hanging about so much. I need fencing!


We have twin bar fridges. It was something to do with the counter space, done by the previous owners who went back home to the UK. The girls like to spell the family names in my magnetic scrabble letters.

 We are used to them after these 12 years here! On Friday morning, I noticed some water under this one. I mopped and then washed it up. Turns out the thawing shrimp tray was tipsy, and dropped water all down the inside, which leaked out. I didn't plan on cleaning the fridge on this fine summer morning, but I did!


Maple, the tree frog, seems to like to sit here during the day. They are nocturnal, coming out to eat in the dark. She keeps me company as I sit here on the deck, bird watch,  and play with my photos. If there is too much action, she reverses back into her cave. I've heard another one on the deck, singing. It's beyond mating season, but they try out their vocal chords often during a weather change.


🦉As we were both sitting here on the deck, I noticed what I thought was a turkey in the back. It flew from a nearby tree, and landed just behind the blue fake heron. Turkeys prefer walking to flying. 
I realized it was our barred owl. Can you imagine it? From there it flew towards the back right, having secured a mouse, I bet. It was such a quick event. While it is said they are nocturnal, I've seen them too many times in the day, like in this archived photo, to believe that.

Lots of garden chores these days. I inspected these two milkweed plants. They are springing up out between the deck boards. I thought about removing them, but checked them first.


Sure enough, a teeny hole which the teeny caterpillar ate upon hatching. And a teeny tiny larvae. Yippee! I think we have three, which is not to be sneezed at.


🌍 The weary world travelers arrived home late on Thursday, after three weeks of travel. 

Josee found me a Great Blue heron!



Before they left, brother Jesse stayed with Caitlin. Caitlin and Company left for the airport, and then Jesse and family came over here. The grandies were welcomed by the cast of Fraggle Rock!
We loved watching Fraggle as a family, and I kept finding Fraggle toys and puppets for Caitlin for fun gifts.  


I hope you had a smile. We all need one.

17 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Any and all images and stories from your backyard bring a smile here! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Smiling here - at least moving towards a giggle! all those little stuffed friends, oh my!

Tom said...

...earlier this year we hear plenty of tree frogs, nice sound. But they seem to be on their summer vacation.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thanks for the smiles! Maybe owls are nocturnal, but you know how it is when you get hungry in the middle of the night? Perhaps they are just doing the owl equivalent of raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night (or of course middle of the day for them) and after they eat the mouse they're just going to go back to bed for a while!!

Olga said...

When did those girls become young women?

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i saw a hawk this AM. never seen one in that spot ...wonder why he was chasing. always enjoy seeing new critters in their habits. ( ;

DeniseinVA said...

Smiles are so good aren't they? And thank you for giving me a few here. Your post was much enjoyed. Happy August!

RedPat said...

I would love to find a tree frog to hang out with during the day.

Elephant's Child said...

I definitely gained some smiles - and some awe and wonder too from this post. Thank you.

William Kendall said...

I think owls are primarily nocturnal, but will be active here and there in the day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope the job with the eaves is finally finished, because I know how sick it is making you.

I'd love to see a tree frog or even an owl, but living in the city, chances are slim to none. I DID find a possum in my shed today. I need to figure out how to get rid of it because s/he is making a mess out there.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Owls are always great to see, no matter what time of day or night!

River said...

I remember Fraggle Rock, my kids loved it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the tree frog, owl and the GB Heron. Great sightings in your yard.
Take care, have a great day!

Patio Postcards said...

Oh I hope for your lilies to bloom & that one escapes the deer's fancy. While you battle deer for your lilies, I battle with the red lily bug or the Japanese beetle, so far I have a few wins! Glad to hear the travelers are home safe & sound. I'll add the need for rain to test your eaves in my prayers for rain.

Jeanie said...

LOVE those Scrabble letters. We need to get those for Rick's and my fridges for when the Dynamic Duo visit!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's a shame this repair process has been so unsatisfying. I hope they've finally gotten it right.

I love the sound of tree frogs. I don't hear them here. We don't see turkeys here, either, but there are owls that nest in our neighborhood. It's good for me that some animals have adapted to urban environments. Congratulations of the caterpillars!