Thursday 4 August 2022

Critters, composter, crummy rain

I was so excited. It looked like we were getting rain. I followed it on the radar, and satellite maps.

I was really disappointed. It was a huge storm, with lightning strikes everywhere. I have found that the lightning map gives a good indication of the direction of the storm. 

The North American radar showed the clouds.


The rain predictions were hopeful, but terribly wrong for us! The clouds tend to peter out over the land after picking up moisture from the Great Lakes.

Elora, Ontario, had what looks like a tornado. Some from that way posted a video. Lots of trees were down. There were power outages.


Today, clouds. I don't know if I should water or not!

 We didn't even have enough rain to gather in the rain gauge. It all petered out as it moved across the continent.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

Years ago, I found that the bears liked my big, outdoor composter. One year Bear knocked it over 3 times! I finally got Bear wise and gave up. I saw a message on the Perth Barter Board on Sunday. A woman was looking for one for her home in town. I didn't really need anything in exchange. I washed off the outside, threw it in the car, and we took it to her. 

There were turkeys on Ian Millar's field.
Cyclists are enjoying the weather.
And walkers...
Skateboarders

🏤LANARK LIFESTYLES is working on their senior's complex new building. It is coming along.


Farewell, composter! 

Æthelred is back! YAM named him back in 2016! Of course, that bear is probably gone. In April, 2020, I posted this in 2020: our Bears are on the move! <= We've had bears over the years.

Bear July 30th from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

  📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

In my MAC photos app I found something whilst fooling around with photos. On my Apple photo stream, if I open an image, and click on the information icon:, it will show you, according to some algorithm, what your plant might be. I found it accidentally, and forgot about it.






This is the front garden. It is lovely chaos. The hummers love the lilies. The deer love the hosta!
I have photos of good years! Clover seems quite keen on the ones near the house. They haven't been this rigorous in previous years.

I do my best, and I know we moved into deer habitat! What the heck. 

tiger lilies & hosta from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

16 comments:

Tom said...

...hot and dry sums things up here!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Wow, your avenue of lilies is gorgeous! Love that 'Aethelred' is around &*> YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

i am hoping for more rain today. Our garden needs it, especially since the tap is busted, and it is difficult to hose it these days

My name is Erika. said...

Elizabeth asked me to pass on this info: Bleubeard and Elizabeth are still unable to access her computer but want you to know they are not avoiding you and will visit once they are back online.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
It is nice you were able to pass on your outdoor composter. I love the bear video. Your flowers are beautiful, the deer here like to eat our lilies and some weeds. Take care, have a happy day!

Divers and Sundry said...

Election day today and rain in the forecast, doesn't it figure lol

I've been seeing a bear in TN news today. Some idiots insist on trying to get up close and personal. What are they thinking?!

I bought an Indian Blanket plant this year. My last try several years ago was unsuccessful, but I'm trying again. I'm always happy when I see tiger lilies, though I don't have any. Such bright spots in a garden!

RedPat said...

We got no rain yesterday either. It seemed to go north of the city. I think your flowers look lovely.

Elephant's Child said...

I am sorry about your rain. We had buckets - and I welcomed it.
Love your garden and the critters. I am sure that woman was very grateful for the composter too.

Gaelyn said...

I hate when the storms just tease, even with the pretty skies. I'm going to look into a lightning map. I have a trigger for the camera but it's hard to know where to point. Nice to pass along something you no longer need. I'd rather see bears than make compost. The ID apps are convenient but I still love my field guides. I love your yard, and all the critters.

Nancy J said...

The hostas must have a special flavour, and even when hidden behind the tiger lilies, someone found them!!!Love hearing your voice, a delightful accent.

DUTA said...

The senior complex building looks quite nice.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well, we certainly gor rain yesterday! Our garden is lovely chaos too.

Red said...

I've had enough rain. I wish I could send you some.

William Kendall said...

Rain would come in handy right about now.

River said...

That's a handy app for the plants. Your garden is lovely, full of colour.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We had a bear come through just one night that we know of. Yes the deer like Hostas! We need rain too and it seems to dissipate before it gets here:(