Tuesday 2 August 2022

New pond pump

 Things are motoring on this summer. We are half done. The weeds are merciless. It's hot and dry. I've been watering gardens, which I don't like to do with the well water. I need some rain to refill the goldsifh pond, which is fed by the water barrels. 

The goldfish pond pump broke. What a pain. I know, in the grand scheme of things it is trite, but the fishies should have some oxygen. Percy swims like a piranha around the pond. 

I found myself a pump online, at 28% off. I don't like Amazon. You never know where the product is coming from. I usually try to go to a local store after I find what I want, if I can. This isn't true of pond or goldfish supplies. They are hard to find here. 

 I was pretty dumb, though. They seldom have the exact specs for these things. I should have learned to inspect the photos more closely. This is a 1/2" outflow. Of course, they are primarily in Imperial measurements. The important part was the speed and power of the pump. This one said 335 gallons per hour (GPH), which I thought adequate. The pond must have about 300 gallons.

As I ordered it, they suggest this nozzle kit. You know, 'buy it with ____ product.' It seemed it would fit. Except if you look above at the outflow, it is threaded. Below, the smallest connector would be right, except it is not threaded. The instructions said they would fit. While it is not threaded, you wedge it on. 

In hindsight, this set looks OK, but even so, the 1/2" threading = 1.2 cm. I just didn't know.

This what I ended up with. It was a puzzle. It was so hot, I was sitting on the step sweating buckets trying to assemble it. 


The whole thing sits in this cage. It protects it, and ensure it sits upright.

I tried a different nozzle, and this was the result. I went back to the other nozzle. You should have seen me on my stomach, on a rock on far side of the pond, trying to reach it.


The problem is it clogs up with debris and I have to haul it out and rinse it off every couple of days, if not daily. Wait a minute. I'm retired. What else do I have to do? Weed? Yes. This is what I went with. After a couple of days, the height of the spray is cut in half. I have to haul it out and clean it with the hose.


new pond pump from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I cut some Tiger Lilies, for the back deck. You'll have to imagine, again, the female hummingbird who slipped between the railing, and slid behind the vase to feed. I dared not move! I've lots of photos of them. I just listened to her lovely wingbeat in awe of nature. 


Out front: my rose finally bloomed again.

Pond Pump Update:
I had a dumb issue with the pump. I lost the top after I'd cleaned it. I figured it would just run on its own. 

pond pump from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for looking after the fish.
Nature is THE best artist isn't she? I am awed daily by her work and her galleries.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh happy happy Percy! I had a female hummer sitting on branches outside my window this morning, making the little peep peep sounds they chirp. No idea why- maybe complaining that I no longer have a feeder (fear it had been too rough where I had to clean some plastic where they put their tongues through...didn't want to cut them so threw it out) And I should have bought a new one...just didn't feel like another chore to do of cleaning it.

Tom said...

...weeds are part of nature's plan.

Karen said...

We had a great rain last evening and well into the night. Hope it made it your way too.

Anvilcloud said...

That pump does not seem easy. Unlike you, however, I like A and usually find what I am looking for. During C, it has been especially helpful. I do understand, however, about the problems associated with A and how it affects other businesses.

RedPat said...

That was a magic moment when the hummingbird came to the lilies.

Divers and Sundry said...

I agree about Amazon, and yet local stores don't seem to want to stock what I want :( It's a shame about the pump, but I hope it works for you. I do love the hummingbirds! It's magical when they are still :)

Nancy J said...

Your garden is full of beauty , and the hummingbird, another blog friend further north from you has also had one or more visit quite often, and to get a photo takes a lot of waiting and watching. The pump, it is like our latest electric log splitter Hugh has to split wood for kindling. An idiot designed it, and I still need to compose a scathing letter review!!! Stay cool, and keep calm.XXXX

Christine said...

Good work with that puzzle of a pump