Tuesday 25 August 2020

The wasp saga

 I did walkies on the frontage. I thought my chair had moved. 


OK, maybe not!

We've green everywhere, thanks to the rain.

The burning bush plant is changing colour. Fall is coming!

I sat, with my glass of wine, contemplating my pile of wood. It didn't move.

The next day, laundry out, I still contemplated the wood. It still hadn't moved. The girls are here this week, and Izzy promised to help in return for Skittles! She even brought gloves.

Saturday, I thought I'd take a run at it, just to make sure everything was good to go. I removed the tarp from some kindling boxes, and was met by some wasps.

I sprayed the box with Raid, hoping they'd take off. No dice. Moving the one box, which didn't have any yellow jackets in it, I went out in the dusk to move the box with the nest. Throwing the piece of wood on top out of the way, and the cardboard box onto the lawn, I was stung in the neck, twice. 


I went back on Monday, hoping for the best. Apparently, there were some under the piece of wood that I hadn't noticed. 

I hope we're done. We have to begin moving wood Tuesday, or not...

I looked out back, and could hear the thunder and lightning off in the distance. We'd had a storm warning.

The radar showed me why.


We had another little rain, 0.06"! 

We had a quiet day. I bought Jos a new puzzle.

We watched AGT with the girls. 

The cats are quite happy that they are back.

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Wasps are not fun. I am not sure what their purpose in life is. What niche do they fill, I wonder.

Karen said...

Mike was sitting on the side deck, minding his own business and a wasp fell on his hand and stung him. Aggressive Bugg***s!
MY back is all messed lately so wood is not on my radar. Mike loaded up a trailer to put in the shed. He said it is so wet (rain) we probably won't be able to burn it this winter.
Sure wish we had some young helpers to come visit.

Tom said...

...this is the time of year to get stung, they nailed me last week!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You did good dealing with those by yourself - as you'll recall, we had to have the pest control out to sort the ones in our workshop drawer - when they started coming for him he just wopped them with his cane! YAM xx

RedPat said...

I hate wasps!

Out To Pasture said...

Stung twice in the neck! Ouch, ouch! Poor you! A few years ago I got a wasp sting on my leg -- which alerted me to the fact that I was standing on their nest while cutting up a fallen tree. Donned my beekeeping suit and gave them the hot water treatment!

William Kendall said...

We've certainly had some active weather lately.

Kathy G said...

Our deck faces southwest, and gets enough afternoon sun that we haven't used it for a month or so. Last week I put some frozen food outside to thaw and saw an impressive wasp nest up in the soffit. When it cools off we will decide what to do about it.

DUTA said...

The girls look lovely! It must be a great joy to have them with you.

Anvilcloud said...

That was a bit brave to be at the beach, but maybe you caught the warm day. I can't remember which day was which wrt temperature.