Friday 5 August 2022

Sumac on lot #2

This used to be a large, integrated sumac forest. Previous owners cleared it, and mowed it. I've let it grow. Over the years, the sumac have died off. I think, perhaps, the lack of water. This is a parcel with very shallow soil. 

The young saplings have tried to grow, but they are yummy for the deer. They turn the most glorious colours in fall.


Sumac berries are popular with lots of birds, e.g., robins, grouse. 


Lots of birds rely on sumac during the winter, like this grouse.

This was a disaster. They fell over, dead. I keep on having to chop them off and toss the trunks onto the field.

I remember the year I ordered a whole batch of leftover pumpkins after Hallowe'en! The critters loved them. You can see the sumac that used to grow.


I spent some time chopping down the dead trees. It looks better, but it is sad to lose them.


16 comments:

Tom said...

...sumac is growing well here, it should be beautiful this fall.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am very fond of sumach - especially in the fall.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I understand sumac is not particularly long-lived and spreads via root system... so I guess there will more to replace this lot soon enough! YAM xx

Patio Postcards said...

The house where I cat sit has a large Sumac stand at the back of their house & the squirrels love to play in there. I'll keep a note to watch for birds when the berries/fruit appear. On a side note, next door neighbours thought they had lots Sumac growing but I assured them it wasn't, it was Trees of Heaven, which have leaves similar to Sumac, so when the trees are young & small, the expectation was for Autumn's colour ... alas not :)

Anvilcloud said...

They do look great in fall. Sorry they didn’t work out for you there.

RedPat said...

It will be interesting to see what nature decides to grow there.

Christine said...

Dead trees are a sad sight

Christine said...

Dead trees are a sad sight

Divers and Sundry said...

What a shame about the sumac. I wonder what will grow there now. The deer may not give anything much of a chance...

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry that they didn't survive.

Phil Slade said...

I'm sure we don't have Sumac here. It's a shame yours died off but nature will find a way to regenerate the land. Maybe for the better?

Nancy J said...

Dead trees live again as firewood, and the last photo, glorious greenery.

Red said...

Sometimes the enemy wins. Deer and some of these critters can be a nuisance. Deer come long and eat my petunias in the planter.

William Kendall said...

Alas that they don't seem to thrive.

River said...

Perhaps they will grow again once you get some decent rainfalls.

Cloudia said...

You are a wonderful carer of nature