Thursday 18 August 2022

Who is your internet service provider?

 I noticed work being done and had no idea who or what. I've been checking it out on Social Media, and our local newspaper editor directed me to her article:  

They offer high speed Internet, cell phone service, and satellite TV. They began as Westport Telephone Company (WTC) in 1932. 


I'd not heard of WTC. They've been laying fibre cable, as you can see, for Internet, cable TV and phone lines. 
We were on Bell Sympatico internet and TV on a dish in Muskoka. It was awful. We have diversified. We had Bell phone service when we first moved here. At one time, mice ate through the line and they laid another. [I wrote about our trials and tribulations with Sympatico– 2014] They are all so big that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I don't know if you remember, dear reader, we were three weeks without a phone when we had Bell.  [☎️Bell Canada – Let's Talk] Now we have a smartphone, not Bell, and a separate plan. We have Shaw Satellite for 📺TV. Sadly Rogers is trying to buy Shaw, so we are a bit worried. We were Xplornet, but they were bought by Shaw. 
While you get a deal having three on one ISP system, when you lose one you lose them all! Including emergency #911! The recent nation-wide Rogers power outage was a case in point.

Having just changed banks, and still trying to get things right, I am not thrilled with change. It took me 3 days to figure out how to pay JB's VISA bill, which is separate from mine. we have to think about this. It won't happen until 2023, anway, and they'll have to dig for a cable alongside our new driveway. What could go wrong?!

One of the reps popped in to ask if we want to sign up. He was a good salesman, but we are good consumers. We ask questions. 

Another sales rep has made a presentation to the nearby lake association. She showed a map of the coverage area. My fear? They end up doing all this and merging with someone. This is what happened with Xplornet, bought by Shaw. 


15 comments:

Tom said...

...we have Spectrum, it's better than the phone company.

eileeninmd said...

We have comcast for our cable TV and internet. Their service is just so-so and it cost a lot of money. Take care, enjoy your day!

Anvilcloud said...

We have Telus for phones and TekSavvy for internet. They use Bell lines for one service and Rogers cable for another faster one. I think we need to switch form the slower Bell to the faster Rogers. But I think I’d rather deal with TekSavvy than Rogers.

Linda said...

We have xplornet for internet, awfully slow, but nothing else offered here. Got rid of Bell years ago, only have cell through Koodo.

Barbara Rogers said...

Phone coverage in our mountains is still difficult for cell services...one place I lived only AT&T would give any connections, and then Verizon, which I still have. But that's just phone. Spectrum still handles my internet through cable of course. I gladly gave up their TV box and service and went to streaming through internet (still Spectrum). THey still haven't got my bill figured out right! Oh, you reminded me of a short video I saw this morning on FB. Can't connect to it here though...will add it at the end of tomorrow's blog.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh shoot...can't find any link on that silly video. Sorry I mentioned it!

Karen said...

I've noticed NRTC (North Renfrew TeleCom) laying line around our township too. Not a chance they will come down my road though. We're at the end of the line in the sticks. All of our services are from Bell. We don't have any choice. We used to have Explornet but the trees in the bush are too tall and block the view now. Mike has a fit every month as different parts of the Bell packages are constantly going up.

RedPat said...

I try not to think about these messy things as it all makes me so anxious.

Cat Lover said...

We are with Cogeco with landline phone and internet. We don’t have a tv provider as we watch so little and just watch DVD’s occasionally.
At this moment Bell is tearing up lawns in our neighbourhood, including ours, installing Fibe. No one is impressed and I haven’t heard any of the neighbours signing up. I have heard it is expensive.

Elephant's Child said...

We have internode - who have been pretty good. If they go down we have our phones for emergency contacts.

William Kendall said...

At present Bell is my internet provider and Telus is my phone provider.

Red said...

You've got to do your homework these days.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have ATT, the big MA Bell for internet and phone. I was without a phone and internet for over five days recently. I dislike the company, but I can't afford the alternative provider in my area, which is Cox. Fiber optics are much better than the old cable I had before.

Kay said...

We have Hawaiiantel, BUT Spectrum is really pushing everybody to switch. We get someone at our door every so many months asking us to switch.

Divers and Sundry said...

We have few choices here and none of them get great marks for service. We're with AT&T for internet right now and have been satisfied with it.