Wednesday 3 August 2022

Back yard, open skies, walkies

Summer is half over. Everything is growing well. We are enjoying the back deck. The breezes blow, and we can read. Tree frog sings from time-to-time. Sound up, as I cannot find him! 

tree frog on deck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The hops vine, July 24 vs. Aug. 1st! 

We've been entertained by the catbird. 

catbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I took Cinnamon walkies in the forest. There must be a sparrow's nest. They like to warn him to stay away. He's a happy lad, and too chubby to bother with the birds. He knows he cannot catch them! 

sparrows 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I took Cinnamon walkies in the back 40. The bugs have seriously lessened. The wild carrot, AKA Daucus carota, bird's nest, Bishop's lace, Queen Anne's lace, all in the family Apiaceae, which I've left to grow. The birds and the bees love it!


All these lovely clouds and only 0.25 mm rain! (Maybe some serious rain today?)

The aspen grove is coming along. The previous owners used to mow all this, but I've let it grow. I love the way the aspens quiver in the wind. It has taken years, as the deer are quite fond of the wee saplings. Of course, last year the LDD moths decimated them. They have come back.


Cinnamon is a happy lad. He didn't notice the mouse hole right behind him! There are quite a few, we've a decent rodent population.

I know this is August, but I looked up and saw some leaves turning. 

He had some interest in the shed, but nothing exciting was going on. I like the non-exciting days!

The caterpillar on the back deck continues to grow. I cannot find the other one. I am sure there are more. We'll go with that – and be optimistic.

 It's a cat's life! They had a big day roaring around chasing one another. They ignored the cat bed on the other end of the couch.




We shall see what August brings. I am hopeful for rain today. This is what they predict for 9 a.m. I shall try to not snort in derision, but fervently hope for the best! 

Rainfall varies over the years. My early rain gauges weren't as accurate as this one. I found the Stratus in 2015. Weather watchers swear by them. That said, this is my data!

The 2015 Stratus is much more accurate that these others. The one in the middle photo is very inaccurate, although artsy! 

  

14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I chucked at your comment " snort in derision" regarding the weather forecast. It's the one job you can be so continually wrong in & yet still maintain the authority. I will snort in derision with you. So dry here. I like your artsy (middle) rain gauge. My fur girls love to sit in the window & watch the bunnies, who are getting braver knowing they cannot get caught.

Tom said...

...my rain gauge is dusty!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The bird equivalent of "danger Will Robinson!"... 'chipchipchipchipchipchup..!!!' YAM xx

Divers and Sundry said...

What a lovely view from your deck :) I love seeing the catbird. They were common here when I was a child, but I haven't seen one in decades. What a treat! Your meadow wildflowers make me smile. I will enjoy seeing your aspen grove grow. We got some rain, enough to count for something but not enough to take us out of drought. I've never considered getting a rain gauge, but it looks like fun.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad the Aspen are returning...they look so pretty in the fall. Gracious, your weather forecast looks much like ours, but it changes about every 5 minutes! I do check Wunderground Weather, and Storm Weather, with somewhat the same radars. One shows what just happened and the other shows a projected view as well...but I never give it credence more than an hour out. Hope you get that rain! We have frequent afternoon showers, as befitting our tropical climate (which isn't supposed to happen in the mountains!) So it goes...(thank you Kurt Vonnegut)...the cookie crumbles.

RedPat said...

We have only had a few drops of rain from all the storms that have been predicted.

DeniseinVA said...

Thoroughly enjoyed photos, videos and narrative. You certainly live in a pretty area with a lot of land around you, and with lots of lovely nature. Thank you for always sharing it, always fun to see.

Elephant's Child said...

I am loving the views from your neck of the woods. I hope you get that much needed rain. Our weather boffins tell fibs too.

Nancy J said...

I check our weather at yr.no and it is always so accurate, even to the hourly precipitation!!! Just add your place or more favourites. Love the grassy areas, the birds, and the summer breezes.How could the leaves be thinking it is autumn and change their colour already??

William Kendall said...

The cats look quite relaxed.

The skies have looked threatening off and on today, including now, but thus far nothing yet.

The Furry Gnome said...

It sure rained a lot here today!

Jeanie said...

It just seems like catbirds should have pointed ears! Love seeing your caterpillar. We've been getting big rains today. I'm worried about my basement at home but nothing I can do about it now...

Anvilcloud said...

So the insects are already lessening? From experience, I would say that it will become quite pleasant in another week or two.

My name is Erika. said...

Elizabeth asked me to pass on this info: Bleubeard and Elizabeth are still unable to access her computer but want you to know they are not avoiding you and will visit once they are back online.