Saturday 20 August 2022

Saturday's Critters

This is the backyard. I was just wandering. This is where Fred groundhog lives, but I haven't found his burrow yet. This hole wasn't finished and he has abandoned the hole under the wood pile. I think.. 

I like the driveway. It occured to me that in the Autumn I often find bird nests after the leaves drop.

Sure enough!

Great excitement. Thursday, Nutmeg was walking along the railing in the dining room. It was unusual. She spotted a bat on the wall. Grabbing the butterfly net, putting JB on the door ready to open it, I got it into the net. I needed to use a placemat to keep it in the net. JB opened the screen door, and it flew off into the big pine tree.


Last weekend, the fawn deigned to appear on the backyard trailcam! We've had some with spots in October, there is time yet!

 

fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The scarlet tanager paused on a branch for me. Even he found the sun hot, though!

 

scarlet tanager from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I was trying to dig out the thistle, and found a bumble bee nest in the weeds. Whoopsie! I moved the hose.

backyard bees from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Four raccoons:

Butch raccoon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

For more critters, visit Eileen! Saturday's Critters # 453 



16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
I only see the bats flying above our yard, neat photo of the bat on the wall.
I love the deer and Scarlet Tanager, great videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anu said...

Hello. You have a great backyard. Wonderful photos and videos.

Red said...

Some fawns can be born late in the season. The late fawns sometimes do not make it..

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I think I counted four of Butch in the first part of the vid! A joy as ever to visit your critters. YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Good capture with camera as well as net! Happy bat, cat not so much! But she's a good hunter to show you where it was.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh my! A bat on the wall would send me scurrying! lol I don't like bats but they come out at dusk here. Love your videos. Thanks for always taking the time to post them for us.

Andree said...

This was great. Big healthy raccoons. Glad you left the bees alone. That's why I don't do any work in the wild areas of my land in the summer. Great post.

RedPat said...

I would not be thrilled with a bat in the house. You have a good system for getting them outside unharmed.

Angie said...

Jenn - how do you suppose the bat got into the house? I love bats and wish we had more around here. As always, your videos are delightful.

Elephant's Child said...

Love your backyard. Thank you for rescuing the bat and the bees.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Great team work in ousting the bat, I would be nervous. I like the videos and the nest.

Kay said...

Oh gosh! Bats and groundhogs. You live in a different world than I do. This is so fascinating.

River said...

I am glad you rescued the bat. Your backyard is lovely.

Divers and Sundry said...

You have such a great space for nature-watching :)

William Kendall said...

My aunt would get freaked out by a bat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Love the bat story and the deer in your back yard.