Wednesday 19 August 2020

Are you wearing a face mask?

 Well things are sorting themselves out, in a way. I must admit to feeling a bit discombobulated. We're feeling fairly safe in our Health Unit, Leeds, Grenville, Lanark (LGL). We've not had a case in weeks. For the most part, according to my personal shopper, people are co-operating. Except for our local MPP. More on that later, the media are researching it!

In the US, things are falling apart as snake oil salesman, newly appointed to the board of a company than makes this homeopathic snake oil, lobbies a supposed cure. As if! The conspiracy theories, fake cures, abound. Cooper nailed him, though. It's time media called these people out.



The kids are back to school soon. Some parents are still deciding about school, although I think parents had to have committed to sending kids, or not, by last week. 

There is much controversy here around going back to school. Parents and teachers are lobbying to have a delay. Teachers are telling us they don't feel safe. They need more time to get organized. The fault of last spring's curriculum, was the lack of lead time. Teachers were scrambling to put learning tasks online. Some, like the (male) gym teachers, got off easy, methinks.


We've been keeping busy. Poor JB has re-injured his shoulder, so I'm in charge of garbage detail, and I did his laundry yesterday. The poor man. He is learning to ask for help, however, knowing it takes time and TLC.
He's been doing us well, keeping us stocked with books. Things are getting more difficult, however. He's been looking for e-books, and some have a wait time of SIX MONTHS! I guess it's good people are reading! He's also been researching DVDs for us to watch. We love our murder mysteries.
I did some work in the yard, weeding, trimming a bush. I had feline supervisors. I haven't had as many monarch as last year, which was a banner year. Nor do we have as much milkweed. Not in the yard. I think it was our late frost that killed some of it. The ones by the house were cosy and safe.
I've left lots of weeds, like the Queen Anne's lace, where the leopard frogs love to sit. Happily bouncing around on my lawn tractor, I noticed things were getting darker. Just as I thought I might be done, I was. A huge clap of thunder. Okey dokey, I was done. All we had was 1 mm of rain. I thought it looked iffy. It brought some cooler air in from the northwest. I don't mind.
We quite enjoyed the Raptors playing basketball (they won 134–110). They play again today, Wednesday. It is good entertainment. They are playing in Toronto without crowds.
I'm still skywatching. There have been two planes, not on Flight Radar. It's rather interesting. People with money are certainly doing well during COVID19.




We've a bit of a mess politically. As JB says, we just want a consistent government to get us through this pandemic. Parliament was prorogued, shut down until September. The suggested 'scandal,' claimed by the vitriolic opposition demanding resignations, has been asking for a vote of confidence. They threaten to call an election. In the middle of a pandemic. It is all very disconcerting. It's all about power.
We keep watching what is happening south of our border, and worrying for our American friends. Such corruption.
                 
Meantime, I'm critter watching. This little guy has been sticking to the back deck. He'll sing, the odd time, for no known reason, and I look for him. We need to name tree frog, as he is a frequent flyer!

12 comments:

Tom said...

...I don't when I'm in a building or near people outdoors.

Karen said...

I do. I've made SO MANY from different patterns. The latest to come out with pleating top and bottom as well as the sides is much easier to breath in. On those extremely hot days the paper fiber hospital types are cooler.

Anvilcloud said...

RH has gone right over the edge.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We always wear our mask when in public places. Love the cute frog.
The corruption in our government is awful. Take care and stay safe!
Have a great day!

Olga said...

I am wearing my mask when I need to go to the store or see people in the neighborhood, like at the mail boxes. I still do lots of things over Zoom. Feeling kind of anti-social but it's better than being sick.

RedPat said...

Cute frog! I wear one inside everywhere I go but not on the street unless it gets crowded.
I think the Raptors are playing in the NBA bubble in Orlando.

Linda said...

wearing masks - yes! watching tv politics - no, watching murder mysteries and reading them - yes, yes, yes

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have masks - but have so far managed to avoid going out and about thus requiring the need to wear one... that may change as it is likely I will have to take public transport back to Edin and masks are mandatory for that. I shall be wearing gloves also, as contact from surfaces, it must not be forgotten, is as much of a problem!

Could that be Hulk in disguise??? YAM xx

Nancy J said...

Masks, mandatory in the Auckland area, optional down here where we are, I wear one in the supermarket, have made another batch and posted some off to family, local friends have theirs. Stay safe, Jenn, avoid those crowded places if you can, try online jigsaws, finding a book to read is not so easy. All OK here in our own little bubble.XXXX

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, we are wearing masks as required :)

All the best Jan

Christine said...

Wishing JB a quick healing.

William Kendall said...

The feline supervisor is good company.

I'm wearing bandannas all the time now for masks.