Thursday 20 August 2020

When you go down to the woods...

 Wow. This is a bit of a shock this morning, the temperature! I'm trying to settle back into routines, now my eyes are healed. Regular workouts, and outdoor work. The family is still sorting out school for the fall. We'll see how it all falls in, this homeschooling.


JB is busily finding us DVDs from Acorn. We aren't inclined to support Amazon, but feel we can support smaller businesses. We can rent a series from the library, and determine if we like it. Some are on sale, and that is helpful. We are saving by not eating out, or doing day trips these days. So, what the heck.

The goldfish pond was happy with the rain. I lost a goldfish. I'm down to five. I'll think about trying to replace it.

However, the phlox smells wonderful! 

I rather doubt that I will actually get a pumpkin out of these! They are pretty, though.

The thistle is amazing. With the bugloss gone to seed, the one monarch I've seen is looking for flowers. The birds love thistle, so I'm hoping for more sightings.


In the backyard, one hibiscus plant is flowering.
Bugs galore...


Forest bathing, it is so peaceful in there. 
I startled a grouse. You'll have to trust me! I looked and looked, but no sign, and I'm just not quick off the mark!

As I approached trailcam #1, I spotted a black shape running in the opposite direction! Booboo knows people are dangerous, and he took off in the distance. Nothing on the trailcam, as I presume he was coming my way. Good bear!


When I processed the trailcam videos, I found a coyote had passed through shortly before I'd arrived! What a day!

13 comments:

RedPat said...

11˚ starts to feel like autumn. I'm not ready for it yet!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have just spent a couple of fun hours searching through YouTubes rent/buy listings for Indian Cinema... a few more added to my library. I introduced Mac1 to "Haider" (Hamlet set in Kashmir) and she loved it - it's on Netflix (can't recall if you have access to that?) The same director did "Maqbool" and "Omkara" (Macbeth and Othello), both of which are very worth tracking down. He uses modern Indian socio-political dilemmas to hang the Bard's work upon and does it very well indeed. YAM xx

Out To Pasture said...

You are certainly wealthy in backyard entertainment, Jennifer! I love the scent of phlox also. My pink ones are just finished but my white ones are now making a nice showing.

Tom said...

...when you go down to the woods, you find neat things!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Cute Golfinch! Your pond looks nice, I love all the flowers and the forest. Take care, enjoy your day!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs.

All the best Jan

Christine said...

so glad your eyes are healed.

Nancy J said...

Have you ever felt afraid when down in the trees, that a bear might come too close? The pond looks good, the flowers are blooming, 11C a bit cool maybe, we have 10C this morning outside, another heavy downpour a while ago, it will clean the drive and the roof.

Karen said...

I'm sure you wouldn't have a chance of seeing the critters so close if the girls were around! Kiddies make enough noise to keep the animals at bay. I hear the coyotes but never see them. We have seen a wolf though. He passed through our yard on a regular route for years.

The Liberty Belle said...

Such nice and peaceful looking photographs.

William Kendall said...

The little bird is a delight.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I just noticed many things on your blog that I had not seen before. Amazing and interesting. I scramble to have time to put up a little bit you have a whole newspaper going up.

Jenn Jilks said...

@Jean I've never felt afraid. I can see the black bear way off, he really is easy to spot. He's quite aware that humans are scary. I was afraid the time I met one looking for the barred owl chicks, but he was coming closer, then fled.