Friday 7 August 2020

✈ 🚁Air Traffic 🐛

It's been 15 days since my eye surgery. It is such a relief. Everything is healing nicely. I'm still taking my eye drops. I can now do more, as we aren't worried about the lenses shifting around in my eyes. I washed the bird bath, took out the cat litter, and cleaned out the fish pond pump. It felt good to get going. 

It's a learning curve. I now need reading glasses. I've worn glasses since 1963. I've had progressives for many years. All very expensive, as my eyes are really bad, at -10.5, and I tend to tip my head up to get the sweet spot for reading. Now, I can perch my reading glasses on my nose, read my computer, and see the TV without moving my head. If I remember!
I've been watching the skies for monarchs. 

We've lots of swallowtails, fritillaries, and moths.  
There two monarch caterpillars out the front. There aren't many around that I can see. We've not the number of either monarchs or milkweed plants this year. 
We have to watch ourselves, as the plants lean into the sun and rain. I keep worrying we'll brush it off as we move along the sidewalk.
There are always tons of tufted milkweed caterpillars.

These are all beside the front sidewalk.
I've been watching the skies for planes, too. Some days are really busy in the skies. It's a fun challenge for me. 

As was suggested by Karen and Jean, it's easy tracking an airplane using Flight Radar! It's a fun hobby, in times of COVID. I don't usually sit out back with my laptop, we've too much pollen and flying crap for that. This was fun, though. I'd actually discovered these sites when tracking our kids world tour. They were planning to go to New Zealand this spring, but that did not happen. 

I did not realize that the smaller planes are on Flight Radar! What a hoot.

I was worried about these two!
Lots of planes out and about. I think I counted 5 gliders. It was a lovely summer's day.
It's a great website, showing the flight path, as well as photos proud owners have posted.
I saw this one go over, very high up, thankfully.
Anyway, it was a fun afternoon, in between reading and working. 

11 comments:

Karen said...

We haven't nearly as much air traffic these days. We are under a flyway heading to YOW, but it's rather quiet. Last weekend our local airport had a fly day with a BIPLANE. They were taking folks up for rides. I was trying to watch for it but it didn't come over our end :(

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is good to see the caterpillars doing well.

William Kendall said...

Most of the planes tend to stay to the south of the city, and the few times I see a plane, it might be a tourist biplane, but I haven't seen much of that this year.

DUTA said...

It seems like your eye surgery was yesterday. I'm glad to learn from your post that things are going nicely, and there's improvement in your sight abilities.

RedPat said...

That could be fascinating to follow all of the planes!

Nancy J said...

So glad you found " Flight Radar", it is a lot of fun. When you get those new glasses, choose the best frames you can, as they will now last forever with no need to change the lenses I would hope. Love the caterpillars, our swan plants have grown well over winter so the monarchs will have a lot of leaves to settle on this season.

Olga said...

I am always glad to hear about successful cataract surgeries.

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased that everything is healing nicely for you.

All photographs are lovely but your first one is extra lovely :)

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
That's a bit like my shipping tracker - great fun! Here in Edinburgh, there has been an appreciable rise in air noise as flights increase again. So glad your new eyes are exciting you! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Is it going to be a down year for Monarchs, I wonder.

Tom said...

...we saw some monarchs yesterday.