Saturday 8 August 2020

Barred owl

Cinnamon and I went down into the forest. It's so pretty, forest bathing would be more Zen-like if there weren't so many mosquitos!



They've been few are far between this year, barred owls.

Aug. 1 – I heard the female making that female solicitation call, near dusk.
Aug. 2 – Early, 9 am., I heard the full she-cooks-for-youooooooo song. I went out, zoom lens and videocamera in hand, but couldn't find them.

Spoiler alert, I didn't see one. All I got for my troubles was a blackfly that flew up my dress and bit my inner thigh.

Aug. 4 – The mosquitoes were horrid. Cinnamon and I went down to grab the memory cards. I was not dressed for a walk, this time, either. Just a t-shirt, and my stretchy capri pants. However, I heard the owl.
Off we went, Cinnamon and I. First up, some joyful tree climbing.

 

I saw the owl. It's not a great video, the older ones are below for reference.



Cinn sniffed at the white mute. No pellets. He has a good nose.


  
We are creeping up on 10 years here. We've a mental catalogue of the critters in the forest.
I've tracked the barred owls over the years.
From June 2, 2016. The female solicitation call is clear about 14 seconds into this video.



She sat in the sumacs for me, harassed by the blue jays.




Momma owl grooming her chick. 2016


The is the sound I heard: who-cooks-for-you!

 

For more critters: 

Saturday's Critters # 347

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the Barred Owls, The owlets are adorable. I have not seen an owl for some time. You are lucky. Great photos and videos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a great day and a happy weekend!

Tom said...

...I've never seen one before.

RedPat said...

I envy your wild life but certainly not the mosquitoes!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Owl chicks...it doesn't get any better than that for a bird watcher! Enjoy your weekend1

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the video with the young owls! What a fantastic video!!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Such a wonderful catalogue you have of your property and its occupants! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

" Who dares to sit on MY branch" Those owl eyes are so pretty, and great video captures, out of all the birds, the owl would be my favourite.

Anni said...

I have seen barred owls, but I have yet to hear them in the Wild. I'd be very happy, if I did! Great videos as always. Love that Cinnamon too. And, yes I know just what you mean about mosquitoes! Horrid.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your wildlife is wonderful.
Your mosquito's definitely not so wonderful!!!

All the best Jan