Friday 2 September 2022

I like September!

 Here we are, September. The plants have nearly run their spring/summer cycles. I'm putting together another Fall Chores post. The year unfolds as it should. We've still a few cherry tomatoes. Soon, with first frost, my outdoor plants will die off, their year done. 

The Perth Fair is on this weekend. There is a display contest, top prize $175, 2nd = $100 and 3rd place = $75! I figured that out after being out driving and seeing these! 





After their morning run, in the cats come for breakfast. The horse chestnut tree, in the background, is beginning to lose leaves. It was chilly yesterday.


I knew the morning was going to be sunny, so I did laundry early and hung it out. Sitting on the back deck to process some photos on my laptop, it began to rain. Happily the clothes were nearly dry. I hustled and brought it all in.


August 2022 <= rain totals! They were decent.


On Wednesday, the day progressed. I did some much-needed weeding. The clouds rolled in, and then a big storm. Well, not so big, but spotty. Very isolated. The tree frog in the bathroom sensed the impending storm and began to chirp. I still cannot find it.
Thunderboomers everywhere around us, as well as power outages.


Ontario Hydro posts outages, hopefully you can access it with a cell phone if your home is without power. People were back up by the next morning.

The rain stopped, but there were warnings for the kids in Ottawa. They were out picking up a grocery order. Happily they made it home safely.


Ottawa Hydro also shows a map of outages, Caitlin texted that theirs was out. They had power back by 9:30 p.m.! 
Whew!

Goodnight sun!

16 comments:

Tom said...

...and so do I.

Olga said...

September weather can be such a mixed bag.

Linda said...

It was great to get the rain at the end if August. No outages here. Good to fell the cooler weather and have the windows open.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great that August rains did balance out the hot dry days. Glad you rescued the almost dry clothes. Oh I remember how great sun dried sheets smelled! Yes you will be getting autumn earlier than we will. My favorite season!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari
Leaves on the beech trees here suddenly showed signs this morning of changing colour... and the sun seems to have drooped several angle notches in the sky since the month turned... YAM xx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are a few weeks ahead of us.
I love September weather and nowdays we have a really long autumn, sometimes through the end of November.

DUTA said...

The Perth Fair looks promising!

Lorrie said...

September is such a beautiful month. We don't think about frost until October, so I'll let the tomatoes carry on until then. You have your very own weather warning system with the mysterious and elusive tree frog!

RedPat said...

So many storms this year.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for another delightful post. Hooray for rain. No hooray for power outages.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like September too.
Enjoy the month.

All the best Jan

Red said...

September is a pleasant month. We know what's looming ahead so we enjoy the nice stuff when it's here.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Seems people go all out to win those prizes at the Perth Fair. Sopme are quite clever, too.

You had more rain than we had in August.

Cloudia said...

You are such a wonderful chronicler of your area and your family! I love my daily visits to Ontario

William Kendall said...

I remember fall fairs in the towns near where I grew up.

Kay said...

Those displays are so much fun. We used to have fun with hail in Illinois until they got too big and put little dents in the car.