Friday 23 September 2022

The weasel

Nutmeg tends to bring prey back to the house. 

Nutmeg from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon came walkies with me.

Cinnamon (I think) headed towards our 3rd lot. There are mice friends in the grass.

cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Fred continues to hang about. I think he's still under the deck. More often I see him coming from the forest, though.
I've been trying to use up my mealworms. I give a couple a day to Maple tree frog. I haven't heard the tree frog indoors since the first time. We won't have to lure it out, I guess. As I fed Maple, Nutmeg yells at me through the Muskoka Room door. I noticed that it drools as it reaches for the worm.

 

tree frog eating from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had the cats bring a weasel back to the house. I tend to think it was Nutmeg. She knows she is vulnerable. 




It took off. I shall hope for the best.

weasel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I turned over a few rocks, and found two blue-spotted salamanders under two different rocks. 

tree frog eating from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Nutmeg is in the door of the Muskoka Room, anxious to get out. She was grounded.

18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

You do have a lot of critters around! Keeps life interesting!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh I love Maple... we all should have a Maple in our lives!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

I do not think I have ever seen a weasel. I like the cute frog.
Take care, enjoy your day!

RedPat said...

There always seems to be something going on at your place.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You've got lots of wildlife going on.

Since our last dog passed we have all sorts of critters in our backyard now. I guess Rascal was our head of backyard security.

Anvilcloud said...

Never a dull moment?

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for sharing your critters.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A lovely assortment of critters!

Lowcarb team member said...

You certainly get a lot of interesting visitors... keeps life interesting :)

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

Weasels can be very elusive.

Red said...

that's a pretty gutsy cat to take on a weasel. weasels don't like to be caught.

DrumMajor said...

I've never seen a weasel either. Face looks like a mouse, tail looks like a cat, and the white on the body makes we wonder if it's part skunk. A bit too big for a mouse trap. Maybe it would be friends with a ferret. Linda in Kansas

Angie said...

Jenn - one of our fall projects is to cut (hack) the hay/tall grass around the house. My job is to rake the grass and then move the material to places that could benefit from additional organic material. In the process, I saw two field mice in different locations. Where there are two, there are more ... So sorry to see that weasel limping a bit - I hope it recovers.

Kay said...

I thought that frog was a toad.
The cats brought the weasel back without killing it? Wow!

River said...

I'm intrigued by the blue spotted salamanders.

Jeanie said...

I have to say, I just love your cats! It dawned on me that soon you will be taking care of the frogs and fish for the season. It seems like you just did that! Where does time go?

Cloudia said...

What an exciting world you have!

Divers and Sundry said...

A weasel! Wow! I never see salamanders or frogs here, but if I'm careful I can find them at the park. You live in your own park :)