Saturday 10 September 2022

Saturday's Critters

It was a banner day. JB asked if I wanted to go for a drive and look for things to photograph. Hah! There was lots to see at home. 

I'd done my morning workout, JB did his walkabout. He spotted a porcupine on his walk. After I posted the 📹video of our Porky with the gimpy leg, a porcupine was hit on the highway. I was glad to hear that he saw another one.


From there I decided I could hear a red-tailed hawk, or a blue jay imitating them, and walked down the path to the forest. It called, again, and I knew I was on the right track. Suddenly, it flew over my head.  Hearing the hawk across the highway, up I went to see what I could see.

red-tailed hawk Sept 8 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

From there, I skirted around the yard, headed towards the back. I've elm trees down and ought to chop them up for firewood (non-mental note). I have to dodge those leopard frogs, nestled in the dewy grass looking for yummy friends. 

As I came around the corner, I scared Fred Groundhog as much as myself. He's been appearing from time-to-time. I think he has abandoned the wood pile for a hole just in the forest.

fred Sept 2 #6 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After Fred disappeared, I walked to see if I could see his hole and nearly stepped on a jumping forest mouse, who jumped to get away from me.

jumping forest mouse from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The few Monarchs we have sail on the summer-like breeze in the backyard. The robins are happy having a bath in the water fountain. There were a half dozen of them taking turns. 

The Robin was eating wild grapes:

robin Sept. 5 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

From there, they all needed baths, but the Cardinal watched them.

robins bathing from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

cardinal & robins from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It is funny watching their behaviour. The cardinal watches. The other robin comes up and the first one chases it away.

The raccoons are active in the forest at night.

Butch & kits from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🐝HORNETS

From there, I looked up at the Hornet's paper nest and found another one. Having seen it several weeks ago, I'd walked down to the lower deck but could not spot it. This time it was obvious. The large hornets are buzzing in and out. They leave us alone and we leave them alone. 


hornets Sept. 5 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I've found out a bit more about these frequent flyers. From Iowa State U, I found out that there are about 100 - 400 drones in each nest, with one queen. They build up to 400 nearer the end of summer. The old queen will lay new queens, they will go off and mate, with the new queens hibernating after mating. The old queens and drones die off in winter.  

They have a typical four-stage life span: egg, larvae, pupa and adult. 
Bald-faced Hornet - Dolichovespula maculata, Herndon, Virginia

Thanks to Eileen for hosting! 

Saturday's Critters # 456

16 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I think I would like to see a porcupine (but not too close-up). Your photos are all very enjoyable. I like the green frog. We have at least one frog who likes to sit just outside our door.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hate hornets and it's scary to be hiking and come upon the nests. The groundhog is a fun critter to watch. Love all of your photos and videos. You make Sat. mornings more fun!

RedPat said...

I'm seeing a lot of Robins gathering here too. And a lot of bathing by them.

Out To Pasture said...

I think I have water fountain envy. So enjoyed watching the robins enjoying it.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun critters...many of whom I've never seen in th e wild!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you (so much) for sharing these wonders.

William Kendall said...

Fred will be thinking of settling in for the winter soon.

Red said...

I think I just had the life science unit for my grade seven! It was an interesting unit.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You've got so many critters around your house. I love the ground hog.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Another fine array of critters! YAM xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I read somewhere that hornets never build a nest in the same place twice. I know they built a nest in my metal uprights that hold my clothes lines. I set them on fire and they gladly left my yard. They are scary as all get out.

Divers and Sundry said...

Groundhogs and porcupines sound so exciting!

Kay said...

You have so many fun creatures in your wildlife neighborhood. I could do without hornets though.

Andree said...

I've had woodchucks forever here. I love the spring when Mom brings out the babies. But I can't have a garden! But that's OK. Gardens are way too much work.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know you like to go on daytrips but you don't reallly need to! You've got a whole wonderful nature park right there in your backyard

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn, What a critter packed post this week, all very interesting. The Porcupine and the Groundhog, mouse frog, birds and hornets, all near, or on your property, is a nature lovers dream.
All the best,