Wednesday 14 September 2022

The season is changing

 The season is changing. We've a cold spell coming. Overnight we anticipate 7 C. and this afternoon it bring weather from the northeast. These are the days when I watch the temperature carefully. I have to bring the goldfish in, and while they will be fine, I don't want to be doing it in the cold!


The temperatures are dropping, I've brought my orchid in and we have a blossom! I am so happy. I broke off the previous stem in March, and I crossed my fingers watching it on the back deck. The little light does a great job and looks pretty in the evening.



I brought in the cyclamen, as well as the elephant ear plant and palm. I haven't heard the tree frog again. 

Outside I am seeing Isabella tiger moth caterpillars (AKA Banded Woolybear), some in the dew. 

The rhododendron is changing colour.

The critters are mad for food, to plump up for winter. I saw Clover in the forest. She ran, then turned around. The fawn was with her, but took off.

Clover deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I last captured the fawn on the trailcam last week at dusk.

fawn Sept 4th from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I went out back one morning, put on the spotlight, and found a huge bug. It looks like some sort of mosquito hawk. 

Checking the rain gauge (14 mm), I could hear a buzzing. This was pre-dawn, you see, and I was surprised. There were a half dozen hornets buzzing the light. (Wasps and bees don't normally fly at night.) They are HUGE, and LOUD. It was a bit spooky, even though I knew what they were. I wondered what they were up to. It was very strange. I hustled myself back in. 

Here they are in the daytime:

Hornets Sept. 8, #7 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

16 comments:

Olga said...

I often see one of those large but delicate insects on the patio door. I think it is a crane fly.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay for your orchid bloom. I had just about thrown away one of mine which I put in full sun on a hot day, and the whole thing got sunburned! But keeping it in shadier spots it seems to be coming back. I may repot it before bringing it inside for the winter. A big "May."

RedPat said...

I'm not ready for cold weather.

Karen said...

We have a second, much bigger, bear hanging around on the path now. I'm nervous to go up there. This guy comes out at midday. The wasps are very active on sunny days but no sign of them on these damp days.
Tonights forecast is for a low of 5 in town. Out here in this tiny valley, we could very likely see frost. I'll cover up the squash and pick the last few tomatoes.

William Kendall said...

Definitely time to be bringing the pants out.

Anvilcloud said...

It does look like meteorological autumn has begun.

Divers and Sundry said...

We get bugs like that, but I'd never noticed stripes on them. I'll have to keep an eye out for a closer look. Woolybears are fun to watch, aren't they!

Tom said...

...the mornings are chill here, but the day warms up.

Elephant's Child said...

Your seasons definitely are changing. Our winters are milder and we don't bring plants in. There are cymbidiums in bud here in our Spring and I am hoping to a lovely display later.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice Orchid! I don't like Hornets and the fake crochet nests I put up work great at keeping them away:)

DrumMajor said...

That bug looks like a mosquito. It would get swatted with my flip flop in Kansas. Then I could talk to it so it wouldn't bite me. Linda in Kansas

River said...

Your plants look pretty inside, safe from the winter weather.

Lorrie said...

Temperatures are slowly dropping here, too. So many spiders weaving intricate webs. Lucky you on the orchid bloom!

Jeanie said...

Happy Homeowner Anniversary! That's a long while and a lot of change. I notice that at my cottage especially, tall trees. (I remember when we could sit in the sun right in front of the porch at 11:30 in the morning! Now the sun doesn't get around there till after 3. I suspect the sun is moving the same -- but the tree is a LOT taller!) Your property is beautiful and you really have made the most of it, too. COngratulations!

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, our season is changing too, there have been cooler days and darker evenings.
Thoughts turn to soups and not salads :)

All the best Jan

Kay said...

Wow! That's a gorgeous orchid. I could never get them to bloom in Chicago. That hornets nest would worry me.