Saturday 3 September 2022

Saturday Critters

The critters have been out about. The bug situation has helped, since breeding season, and the need for blood has diminished. We had the mosquitoes in May, blackflies in June, deerflies in July, then horseflies. This is all good for the bug-eating birds! Walks in the forest are much better, although there is the odd mosquito. Hubby finds his morning walks are much easier. I was bitten by a blackfly when weeding. That just adds insult to injury. 

The flicker on the trailcam was funny. I haven't seen too many of them since breeding season is over. 

 

flicker in slo mo from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Doe a deer.

 

doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Both the doe and fawn visited the backyard. That was lovely! Aug. 23, 2022.
 

doe and fawn from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🐝 HORNETS

Aug. 27th shows the hornet's nest growing. They leave us alone. We leave them alone.
 

hornet's nest from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Aug. 28th – they are fascinating. All working together. All with a purpose, for the good of the nest. 





 

hornets 5 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The lone turkey hen walks through the trailcam field.
 

turkey from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

P.S. We still have a tree frog in the house, as far as I know. Last I heard, it was singing in the bathroom. I sent JB into town to buy some food for it. Mealworms. I put them into a container in the bathroom. Caitlin suggested I leave a trail of worms along the hall, leading it to the door! I bet the cats would be curious!

I hoped to lure the indoor tree frog to the bathtub, where I put the container. Having looked up how to raise them, raising mealworms, I knew what to do. 

 Maple tree frog is still on the back deck. I thought I would test the mealworms on her. She ate one, and I thought I should video the 2nd one! Sept. 2nd, 2022.

gray tree frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

For more critters visit Eileen's blog: Saturday's Critters # 455.

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
You have a nice variety of critter videos. I love the doe and fawn. The tree frog is cute. I am glad the hornets leave you along, that nest looks huge.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to see your critters today...love the deer, and what an interesting interaction with Mr. Froggie of the bathroom...how the heck did he get there, I must wonder!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Nice sounds of flowing water in the deer video. I’m seeing a hornet’s nest for the first time. Looks very cool, unlike what I had imagined about that proverb.

DUTA said...

Cooler temps make the flying and crawling insects disappear, at least in the house. That goes to show that it is the hot weather that determines their appearance, and not something in the house that attracts them (light, dark, dirt, wetness).

RedPat said...

You may end up with a pet frog in the house.

Anvilcloud said...

I hope you manage to help the frog in your house.

Elephant's Child said...

The tree frog took a while, but once she made up her mind she was fast. Very fast.

William Kendall said...

That frog is fast!

Kay said...

I hope your birds eat up all the flies. I really hate biting flies! I think the absolute worst were the ones in New Zealand/Australia.

Red said...

The critters must like your place as so many of them visit you.

Angie said...

Jenn - the video of the frog eating the meal worm is outstanding! I spotted a little frog in the Russian Sage plant - so well camouflaged!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never seen a Flicker before, and I loved it in slow motion. Really love the deer and fawn. You can keep the tree frog.



Divers and Sundry said...

That hornet nest is a wonder! I'm impressed with the live and let live approach to it. It'll be interesting to watch.

I love the deer and turkeys. We do get them around here, but of course I never see them here in the city.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hate hornets and the ground wasps we have here. Turkeys and deer are fun to watch! We saw a wild turkey this morning and that was a treat.