Sunday 18 September 2022

Forest walkies

 Taking Cinnamon for a walk was a great idea. He is a happy little fellow! The forest is green, it is full of mushrooms and fungus. Peaceful! He followed along with me all the way, happy with the walk. When he flung himself onto the driveway for a belly rub I scooped him up and brought him in. 

I had to suggest he NOT go into the wetland, although he was keen to follow the critter trail.


He decided it was time to climb a tree.

He's learned to come down properly. We'll never have to get a ladder to get him out of a tree!

cinnamon climbing from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


This was interesting, as it looks like a critter has dug out under the root of the fallen tree. I hope it isn't the fisher. There is a limb protecting the opening!


The fallen birch trees add to the habitat. The fungus on them is beautiful. 


While we live on 16 acres, most of it is wetland. Wetland serve an important purpose in the ecosystem, filtering water and providing habitat for numerous critters.

Most of our cats have climbed this tree, with numerous dead branches on which to perch. Not our big boi Cinnamon! After his rest, he decided to seriously mush this branch. 


This is the far end of our lot. 


They like horizontal logs. Can you see his tail?!

Can you see the mushrooms? 

You don't really walk a cat. He seems to know the path we are following. Cinn liked the mossy rock. 


The forest has many colours and textures.

"Mitchella repens is the best known plant in the genus Mitchella. It is a creeping prostrate herbaceous woody shrub occurring in North America belonging to the madder family."


 "Solidago caesia, commonly named blue-stemmed goldenrod, wreath goldenrod, or woodland goldenrod, is a flowering plant native to North America."

On the trail, I found some scat. 

Taking the trailcam memory card, I curated the videos. We had a bear on the new trailcam. She was an itchy bear!

15 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i had to do a double take, because i thought you said you were looking for cinnamon, get now that is a cat. lol!! happy Sunday. take care. ( ;

Tom said...

...partridge berry is a treat to see.

William Kendall said...

Bear back rubs- quite something to see.

Some cats do develop a knack for tree descending.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Jenn what a gorgeous woodland to walk in and I get such a kick out of Cinnamon ! You took a beautiful picture of him laying on the moss.
Does it cross your mind you might come face to face with a bear ?
I would be a little worried .. I know if you make enough noise they are supposed to avoid you .. in any case ... that was nice to see this morning. Our girls love tummy rubs too !

eileeninmd said...

Nice walk, love your kitty and the bear video.

Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Hah, your bear reminds me of me when I get a back itch. What a great video.

I always get a kick out of you walking your cat. I love that it knows how to get down out of a tree. Many cats never learn that skill. I've seen more than one try and go down head first.

Christine said...

A nice walk on your property

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't worry too much, CanadianGardenJoy, as they are good bears and know to fear humans. I am noisy with Cinnamon, and I am very vigilant. I've come across a couple of coyotes and a large fisher over three separate incidents. They ran away like crazy!

Divers and Sundry said...

Those woodland scenes are inviting :) A walk there sounds lovely.

RedPat said...

You have such a big piece of property. It is wonderful that it is so natural.

Elephant's Child said...

Love that you and Cinnamon walk together - and would love to see your wildlife for myself.

Linda said...

I imagine it is lovely walking in your wooded area at all times of the year.

Cloudia said...

You are so delightful with that lucky little cat!

DrumMajor said...

"Cat Resting on Moss" is pretty cute. Bear Scratching Back is scary. Linda in Kansas

NatureFootstep said...

lol, bears seem to love scratching their backs against trees :)