Wednesday 7 September 2022

Book Review: Stealing From Wizards

Our grandies, now safely ensconced in gr. 7 and 10, are back in school. They had haircuts for the occasion. I hope they stay safe. 

Josephine, Isabelle, Caitlin

They introduced me to these books during one of our Gramma Camp weeks in 2021, Stealing from Wizards. The target audience are middle schoolers, but I really enjoyed it! You can podcast it, as well.

"It's the misfit magical middle-school adventure you've always needed." – to quote the author! That about sums it up. It is creative, and fun, and captured my imagination.

Toronto born, this Canadian author, Ryan Consell, is a character, himself. He is on Twitter!

"Aside from writing, he is a teacher of science and mathematics, stage actor, armorer, and nerd culture activist. His work has been featured on io9, Kotaku, Boingboing, MTV Geek, madartlab.com and in Game Developer Magazine."


Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

15 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for introducing me to a series I suspect I would/will really enjoy.

eileeninmd said...

Cute photo of your grandkids! I am not familiar with these books.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'll give that a go on the podcast! YAM xx

Patio Postcards said...

Thanks for the book referrals - I'm looking for something fun to read. I've had a summer of far too many murder mysteries (col).

William Kendall said...

A new one to me.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks so much for another fun series to read...love the wizards. I myself have been talking to the one of Oz lately...as my assumption that another book title was about him when looking quickly at it. It really wasn't, but I figured what occurred to my mind was a thought that was worth considering, even if not accurate in the real world. This is what happens when I'm not having much contact with other humans out there. Fair warning.

Barbara Rogers said...

Love another book series on wizards. I have been lately talking with the one from Oz...since I misread a title of a book out of the corner of my eye as being his name, and figure reality might be different, but my thoughts are just as valid. This is what happens when I don't have much contact with real people. Be warned.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh pooh. My comments must be going to your spam folder...this is the second one this morning that I know I posted twice and they didn't show up!

Tom said...

...I hope that you ALL stay safe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

ANY one who teaches science and math is my hero. We have so few of these and even fewer females who seem to go with the "right brain" degrees, like English, poetry, and literature.

Barrie said...

The author does look like all kinds of fun. Will follow on Twitter! Thanks for introducing me to a new Canadian middle-grade fantasy author!

DUTA said...

Hopefully, the return to school of your granddaughters won't be followed, God Forbid, by a return of the virus, as most people and kids have removed the mask. Here parents seem to be quite concerned.

DeniseinVA said...

I send good wishes to your grands for a very happy school year. Thank you for the book review. I enjoy a little fantasy in my reading. The author does sound a character but I often find when meeting these people in real life, they are fun and interesting.

DeniseinVA said...

I published my comment too soon as I wanted to add my thanks for the extra info on my monarch post. Thank you Jenn :)

Sarah Laurence said...

What adorable grandchildren! I love how they're introducing you to new books too and a fun author! Nature or nurture, you've done well.