Monday 12 September 2022

A Celebration of Tree frogs!

I shall miss them during hibernation. 

Soon they will dig themselves in and under leaf and forest debris. In the meantime, I am enjoying them. They are everywhere.

Back deck!

Behind orange bear on the front porch. (I'm ready for fall!)

I BBQ'd some bacon-wrapped chicken rounds, but first, I had to move froggie. Of course, it peed on me, so I had to wash my hands.

They come in all shapes and sizes, but are usually green or gray, changing colour to suit their environment. I've been cleaning up the back deck, and found them behind the thermometer.


Out front, on the blue heron statue. (No reading glasses, so the wild aster took first place).


I keep forgetting to look for THIS froggie. As I pull the hose, it sits inside and goes around and around, then breaks free to plop onto the wall to stop the spinning. They tend to go back to the same place as dawn breaks. Little creature of habit. Later in the day I heard it singing from inside the rack. It has a lovely amplifying effect!

These two were nose to nose on the railing.



In preparation for winter, I brought in the elephant ear plant JB's aunt gave us before she passed. I found that if I bring it in prior to the cold nights the froggies don't tend to sleep over in it. So far so good. I still don't know where the frog that was in the bathroom has gone, if anywhere. Ah, rural life!

 This is not a new thing to happen. Mr. Tree Frog is in the building happened in October 2018. It happened in 2015, as well. It fascinates the cats. Hooper liked to sit on the plant looking for froggie.


Back in 2018, Daisy and Dorah were quite curious. By January I was worried, and JB got me some mealworms, which I raised in a container. Daisy was rehomed for attacking Hooper. Later, Hooper died in a car incident. Such is life and death. 
  

Tree frog Plant from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


20 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow. love the new header shot. so pretty. i am ready for fall. Michigan trip was a blast. was hoping the fall temps at arrived but not yet. keep waiting. lol!! ( ;

Patio Postcards said...

You get a lot of tree frogs. We get more toads although I think it is tree frogs I hear on some mornings.

RedPat said...

Those frogs are so cute.

Tom said...

...they are a neat sound.

Elephant's Child said...

You are so lucky. It is years since I have seen or heard a frog.

Barbara Rogers said...

As I fixed my lunch, having just come from getting my flue shot, I heard a little intermittent noise much like a froggie. I had bought myself a diet Dr. Pepper to wait for the hour before getting my shot, and it was on the counter, with the peanut butter, margarine, and jelly...as well as the coffee pot with a lid on. I checked each container, and found the Dr. Pepper was letting out little hisses. Ah, no froggie here! you've got them all!

Kay said...

Those frogs are so cute. And loud, if that's what I heard in the video. Reminds me of the coqui frogs on the Big Island.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh those cute little froggies are everywhere! They really are sweet (except maybe not if they pee on you).

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my gosh, those little guys are LOUD!!! Thanks for the video. I just played it and Gregg said, 'WHAT IS THAT?' LOL! I showed him your video and all your photos. You have quite a number of them there.

Red said...

We have very few frogs here.

Cloudia said...

You are a witness and a blessing to the nature around you and I love you for it.Jenn

Mae Travels said...

I think our doorstep frog is the same as yours -- so it must be a tree frog. It's very cute and usually takes me by surprise. I love all you photos of the frogs.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Interesting thay go to hibernate

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry, Jenn. I'm not into any kind of frogs. We can't all love everything each one posts.

Angie said...

Fabulous tree frogs, Jenn! I found one the other day, well camouflaged in the Russian Sage!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

The frogs are so cute, loved the photos.
Take care, enjoy your day!

William Kendall said...

They certainly make a racket!

Jeanie said...

Those little frogs are so darned cute! Loud but cute!

Anvilcloud said...

AFAIK I have only seen one, but that sighting delighted me.

Divers and Sundry said...

(got an error message on my first attempt to comment. trying again)

This is a real treat for me, living as I do with an urban patio frogs never come to. Thanks!