Monday 5 September 2022

The last of the flowers!

 I bought a dozen white and fuschia-coloured Hibiscus, on sale several years ago. I've only a few left and this one out front is spectacular. I preferred the pinker ones, but this will have to do.



The Angel's Trumpet flowers only last a day. But they are magnificent and I will have photos when we're in the depths of winter!



The orchid is finally getting new flowers. I accidentally broke off the last branch trying to rein it in back in the spring. It's indoors now, with the grow light on it. Tiberius is sitting beside it. It looks pretty at night. Soon I'll have to bring in all my house plants. Not for a couple of weeks, though. I keep checking the forecast.




I've still got a tree frog in the house. Of course froggie could be in the basement by now.

I found out some more information on the buck spotted on the trailcam. This was early August.

 

The goldfish pond pump is finally where and how I like it running. I likely only have another month to keep it going. Then, a sure sign of Autumn, goldfishies will come indoors.

The wild grapes are looking good. We have quite a few.

The phlox, trampled on by the eavestrough installation, have bravely bloomed. I hope they will come back with a vengeance next year!



Orchid spider eating lunch on a brown-eyed susan.

I could hear birds in the canopy. I didn't have the zoom lens on me, and figured they'd be gone by the time I fetched it. I could see they were red-eyed vireo. I have photos of them in my archives. It was fun watching and listening to them!

Soon they will migrate, bug eaters they are. Soon our bugs will be gone, too. She said hopefully. I was bitten by another blackfly when I was weeding, and had a tick on my neck, as well. Just a wee nymph, and I'll be glad when they are hibernating.

Another fun visitor was what I think what was a female rose-breasted grosbeak. They definitely nested nearby. So it isn't unusual, but fun to watch through the window screen.


Then there is Fred Groundhog... he was peeking at me. This is the hole he dug. I don't know if he has dug a burrow here. He'll run and hide.


The few milkweed we have will have some fine seeds. I might gather them and spread them in another spot, rather that on the lawn here. 

This little hosta plant has bravely bloomed, despite a trimming from Bambi.

The ferns are done! Too hot and too dry, although I watered them (infrequently).

I baked hubby some vegan irish soda bread (recipe). It was finally cool enough to put the oven on. 


20 comments:

Linda said...

I made soda bread too (way back in the spring), but the gluten free variety. Must make it again now it is cooler.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Love that hibiscus... and soda bread! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Yesterday was cooler, rain off and on. And today has started with constant rain. the stead kind without wind attached. Flood warnings of course for the mountain valleys. I did think about baking bread too. Just a thought however!

Red said...

It's time to start with fall work. Plants are telling us that it's time to go.

Tom said...

...I hope that the flowers will hang on a while longer!

Anvilcloud said...

Our over doesn’t go on very much throughout the summer. The kitchen is small and really heats up. The whole house is small actually.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

my wife has a huge hibiscus shrub on our front walk. It is still blooming nicely.
I love all the plants and critters that you monitor at your house. You are several weeks ahead of us in weather. We still got some 90F days left.

Olga said...

Lovely photos. The last of the flowers, but still beautiful.

RedPat said...

The soda bread looks great. I actually turned on the oven to cook a pizza this weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

We had a red hibiscus when I was growing up tht bloomed on July 4th every year. It was ages before I knew they came in any other color lol

I enjoy seeing your birds, so many of which we don't get here.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That Angel's Trumpet is awesome. They are beautiful and it was great you were able to take photos of them since they have such a short lifespan.

That poor deer. Nice of you to do the research.

Fred Groundhog is a bit of a problem, I fear. Sure like that area where you can sit, though.

Happy Labour Day, Jenn.

Raquel Loio said...

Hi Jenn! What a beautiful place, very natural. Hugs, Raquel

Nancy J said...

A cold snap over much of NZ now, minus temps in many places, and snow on the higher roads and mountains. Love your late summer garden photos, how different is your life when the seasons are SO different.Only once did my small bird bath get icy.!!!

Elephant's Child said...

Simply beautiful. All of it. Thank you.

Cloudia said...

Soda, bread and a working pump and so much more! You cheer me up everyday Jenn

Christine said...

Always sad to see the flowers go

William Kendall said...

Beautiful flower shots.

River said...

I don't have houseplants, so whatever is in my garden has to survive winter on its own. since we don't get the ice and snow part, things are usually okay out there.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely selection of flowers there, your Angels Trumpets look like our Hedge Bindweed, whose flowers last a lot longer!

That's an excellent photo of the orchid spider eating lunch too.

NatureFootstep said...

I think I have seen the The Angel's Trumpet flowers on one of my trips. It was a beautiful one. :) And so are yours. :)