Tuesday 13 September 2022

Garden Work

🚚 But first: people asked about the name 'Freedimmers' and I realized it confused people. The Truck Convoy freedom fighters, and QAnon gang are up to their old tricks and acting really weird. Which smacks of a certain amount of freedom, to me! Some very angry Ottawa citizens, victims of the convoy, were calling them the Freedumbers. I prefer the Freedim term. On my Twitter feed a personal concerned with disability issues wrote that 'dumb' is a pejorative term. Someone else came up with the new moniker.

😷 In COVID/Omicron news, Ontario has opened up to the new bivalent innoculation. They restrict it to healthcare workers, people in long-term care, and those over 70. JB's is this week. This is great, since he has a cancer treatment next month, and they should not overlap. Mine is later this month when they open it up to everyone. 

🥀Gardening!

 Before I pulled weeds, and cleaned up, it was quite green. Everywhere I walk leopard frogs jump out of my way. I greet them all. Often I apologize for scaring them! 

The phlox is falling over and gone to seed. I had to clean up all the stems. Then, I had to pull the weeds from between the stone path. Much better!


The Rose Mallow hibiscus is falling over with blossoms.


Having transplanted 3 Hibiscus, which were not doing well in the backyard garden (too hot/dry?), I had to water them. We were supposed to have rain, but I knew that is not exactly certain. I watered them well.

I transplanted one Hibiscus here, where the cherry tree used to be. I shall cross my fingers for next year.


These are hibiscus plants that have since died. They were pretty. There were about a dozen. I killed most of them off! I so sad!

After my long post yesterday, a tribute to my little tree frog friends, I spotted a spring peeper on the back deck! You can spot them by their X on their backs. 


🌲Out in the forest, the critters pass by.

 

Buck Sept. 3 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Butch raccoon, with the 4 kits, has been doing well. They aren't as large as some of the young 'uns about, but there are still four of them, which is a good sign.

11 comments:

William Kendall said...

The kits stick close to mama.

Tom said...

...gardens can be a lot of work, sometimes more fun than others.

Elephant's Child said...

You have been very busy (and successful) in the garden.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Love all those 'kit-eyes' in the dark!!! you sure do have a lot of land to cover and tend... YAM xx

Nancy J said...

I still sometimes struggle to look at your garden and realise you are in Autumn mode up there. Those flowers are still giving some lovely detail to your garden, and with the wildlife, all quite busy.

Cloudia said...

We will let them be dim and return to the joys of nature!

Jeanie said...

Never thought about the disability issue. They are freedumb here, too! Glorious blooms.

Red said...

You've done a lot of gardening this fall.

Anvilcloud said...

I guess I thought it was a typo or a variation (which it was). I am happy to stick with dumb. 🤓

Divers and Sundry said...

Ah, yes, those folks who don't understand what freedom is. Or responsibility.

I'm looking forward to getting my new booster sometime this month, along with the annual flu vaccine.

The summer flowers are fading here but still hanging on. Autumn is definitely here.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those kits are cute! We will get the new third booster either tomorrow or next Thursday. I am kind of hoping for next week but we will see...the Infusion Nurses want us both to have them as soon as they are available.