Tuesday 6 September 2022

Perth Fair – 2022!

 It is always on Labour Day Weekend: Sept. 3/4/5. Fall fairs signal the end of the school year. When I taught in rural schools, the kids would have been busy preparing for the fall fairs. 

We drove from the Sundance Artisan Show to the Perth Fair. We haven't been in a few years, we were out and about, so why not!

It was a hot day, nearly 30 C. at home. We thought it might rain the next few days. We put two trips into one day. What a marathon! This morning it was 11 C. when I got up. What a change!

People will put anything on a t-shirt.


Lots of carvers out there.

Forging along...

Sheep shearing

Flags and paraphernalia, colours and games galore. 






I saw someone trying to eat theirs, photo, top right. It's a hamburger with a ball of mac 'n cheese in it, onion rings on top. It was difficult to eat, the cheese ball rolling out. We passed on it.

A dance troupe

Super tall sunflowers and pumpkins. Lovingly nurtured over the summer.

This cutie is from Muskoka! She developed The Saucy Muskokan. Her extended family lives in Perth, and what a lovely way to visit.


Somebody bought a sausage, they put it in a wrap he'd brought with him. I was given first bite and it was pretty good. 

Later, the smell got to me and I had my own sausage on a bun. Also fries, which I shared! We did a fair amount of walking. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The rides were amazing!!! Not that we tried them. There was lots of screaming as it was, with wasps trying to eat kid's cotton candy and lunch.

The Avalanche was a fun ride!

avalanche from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This one gave me shock and awe!

 

drop zone from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

But this one gave me pause.

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a fun fair. We have the Maryland State Fair which is similar to your Perth Fair. Take care, enjoy your and the week ahead.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Never a big fan of large crowds anyway, I am not sure that I would yet be comfortable mingling with so many people. COVID is not done with us yet!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The stalls look interesting - but I just can't handle "funfairs". Some kind of masochism going on to want to enter those things! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

The Duffers truck gets around. At ne time it had a ermanent spot in CP. When we meetup with family in the Tweed park, there is always a Duffers truck there.

William Kendall said...

The fall fairs in the towns near where I grew up tended to be later in September. Haven't been to one in many years.

DUTA said...

The fair looks colorful and entertaining! I used to be a great amateur of fairs until the last few years. I've decided to stop buying all kinds of 'bargains', and avoid crowds.

RedPat said...

I haven't been to a fair in years. And am still avoiding crowds.

Lorrie said...

Our local fair was this weekend, but we didn't attend, although two of our kids and their families did. Those midway rides get more and more extreme. No thank you! Fair food is always....interesting!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The Tulsa State Fair is coming up pretty quickly. I love the fairs but I just go for the livestock, arts and crafts, take photos of the rides and a beer, then I am out.

Elephant's Child said...

Our shows are mainly earlier in the year but look very familiar. I love the handicrafts/skilled work persons area but pass on the food and the rides.

Nancy J said...

Those people must have nerves and a stomach of reinforced steel!!! What a grand day out for you both, with some edible goodies as well.

Linda said...

Love the displays at a fall fair, ours was basically just the midway this year, as they are moving to a new location (old grounds sold, only half to use, no buildings for livestock or displays), needless to say we did not go.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Our State fair starts this week, I think. Obviously, I am not planning to go because I want Covid to be dead and gone before I wander onto another midway. I am scared of rides, and you would NEVER get me on one of them. Loved the photos and the videos, though.

Divers and Sundry said...

There's so much going on at y'all's fair! I'm jealous :)

Red said...

What a great fair. We don't have fairs here.

The Furry Gnome said...

Fall fairs are always fun.

Ontario Wanderer said...

As several others already stated, I am still avoiding crowds. Nice that you shared!
Love the wood carvings and the blacksmith at work. (As a youngster, I turned a crank to work a bellows to heat up coals for my grandfather when he was doing some blacksmith work.)

Barrie said...

I love fairs! Great photos, Jenn!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=) There is a lot of fun to be had at this type of fair, but I can honestly say, I would only be interested in the wood carvings the sheep rugs, and the pickles. In the first place the crowds would put me off, because of Covid, but as I said, it does look like fun if you can stomach those rides and have the energy to walk around for ages. I wish I was younger!!

The photo of your granddaughters in your previous post is lovely.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a fun day at a fair!!