Wednesday 4 May 2022

Spring unfolds

I've begun a post on my Spring Chores, but I'm not quite ready to post it. I keep finding more chores to add to the list! You know how that goes. 

You can see the leaks in the bird bath. I checked and even though it has begun raining, I think the mend is holding. It cracked up around the base, as the snow got in after the heater busted. 




It's been chilly. They ended up sleeping in the same bed two days in a row!

The hosta has survived, and is beginning to grow. We'll see if their days are numbered, though. 

This may be the only evidence of my tulips, and please don't tell the deer they are here. 

Then, there are the lily bugs. I have my neem oil spray.

The horse chestnut buds are amazing.

tulips raise faces to the sun
leaf buds burst with sweet sap

-deer snap off a snack

The backyard daffodils are coming along. Don't blink! The season seems so short. The deer don't like the daffies. Isabelle helped me plant them, such a wonderful memory!

Trailcams

I've been thinking about the camera placement, screwed into the tree. I think it is a mistake. I'm sure the raccoons could use it as a stepping stool. I have a video of them trying to get into this nest box – not that I can find it! If ducks lay eggs in this box (they didn't last year) I'll have to move it. 

I managed to capture the deer at the pond. It attracts a lot of wildlife.

 

deer on pond from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 The wood ducks I finally have on video. Almost. All I have to do is turn the camera a touch. 

You can see what I mean, he's just about in frame, though. I've begun reporting them on Project Nestwatch. Those, and the 🐣ROBIN  (3 eggs), as well as 🐣PHOEBE  who seems serious about nesting. 

wood duck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Things are hopping in the pond. The fairy shrimp and mosquito larvae are quite active. The irony is that the Wordle of the day was 'larva' but I did not get it. I'd just processed this video!

 

fairy shrimp & mosquito larvae from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🐻SNUGGLE Bears – Blues Bears Band!

JB is so creative! It's lots of fun.


10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I swear JB could create a stop-motion movie of the Snuggle Bears!!!

I love the stealth cam vids - they are so clear and the place is looking bright and beautiful. YAM xx

Tom said...

...once spring starts there's no holding it back!

Barbara Rogers said...

Can't wait to see more of Wood Duck family! Bears band, with photos of instruments is very clever definitely! Want some Blues Brothers tunes now!

Gaelyn said...

I SO LOVE seeing your videos. The pond really is alive. I DO need to get a trail cam. What kind do you have? Is it always a pleasant surprise to see what the JB and bears are up to?

RedPat said...

You have a busy place.

Cloudia said...

What fun!

Anvilcloud said...

Hostas poking already? Our daylilies are, and I expect that we’ll have foreget-me-nots soon..

William Kendall said...

The cats must get along all right.

Red said...

You've got a lot to keep you busy for one day.

Jeanie said...

I love that the cats are sharing a bed! They must get on well -- or at least when the chips are down!