Monday 2 May 2022

Look up. Look waaaay up!

It was our last adventure listening for frogs. They are diminishing in numbers. Well, they are calling in reduced numbers! I can hear just the odd one, not the overlapping chorus. Also, we are only expected to visit our assigned sites three times. We are done! 

I can retire my clipboard, ably shown by 'Vanna White', my personal assistant and driver. Now I have to input all the data on the website. 


We went back to Wildlife Rd. (honestly!)  and while I heard some chorus frogs, the wood frogs have left evidence of a job well done! There are lots of wood frog eggs.


As we headed from site #3 to #2, there was an odd site in the tree. "Stop the car! Stop the car!"



Under the tree were quite a few branch ends!  

We often see porcupines! Their claws are amazing.

At 30 seconds he chews a branch right off, and backs up to a fork in the tree to nestle in and eat it!


porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

16 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh, how exciting! I was brought up on visions of Old World Porcupines, which are mainly terrestrial, but (prompted to research!) I discover New World Porcupines are, actually, mainly arboreal!!! Thank you for your sharp eyes and fab filming - it looks totally in bliss with its spring growth feast. YAMxx

Barbara Rogers said...

I had no idea that they climbed trees! Wonderful video! Those new shoots must be very tasty for him!

Anvilcloud said...

Ever the naturalist.

Gaelyn said...

Obviously no fear of heights. Ribbit

RedPat said...

I had no idea that they climbed trees.

Nancy J said...

What a funny fellow, it looked like he was stripping the leaves off, and up so high, did he think the tastiest was up there?

Cloudia said...

You live in an amazing place. Thank you for sharing with us

DeniseinVA said...

Congratulations on that job well done. I think such dedication is very impressive and I do applaud you, Vanna too of course for holding the clip board so well ;) I thought those porcupine claws were from a bear at first, they look huge! A great video too! I didn’t know they could climb that high. Puts those claws to good use doesn’t she/he? :) Thanks Jenn, and thank you more from the froggies. I heard the bullfrogs at the park the other day, they were very, very loud.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What a post ~ never saw a porcupine in a tree ~ his lunch looked yummy to him/her ~ Great post, photos and videos ~ I love seeing your posts ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days ~

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Interesting to see the porcupine claws!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great that you completed the frog counting job. Good for you.

I had NO idea porcupines claimed trees. I was almost blown away when I enlarged that photo. How amazing. Great you were there to document it, too!

William Kendall said...

Those are some serious claws.

Phil Slade said...

The Porcupine is amazing. Best we have is a hedgehog!

Lorrie said...

What a fun thing to witness! Your title reminded me of the Friendly Giant children's show from years ago.

Red said...

I heard my first frog today.

Jeanie said...

I love "Wildlife Road." Well named indeed! That's quite the porcupine paw!