Tuesday 31 May 2022

Phoebe, robins and ONStorm

 🐣 Critters

🐣PHOEBE –  Phoebes have hatched May 28th. It looks like all 5 of them! They should fledge June 11th. 

The first 🐣ROBIN was here as of Feb. 1st, in the snow and cold! They've nested and hatched: May 14. The robins fledged on Sunday, May 29, having hatched exactly 13 days ago. No eggs remained, I assume they hatched 3/3 eggs. 


I anxiously await the Wood Ducks hatching. I did a quick check on them. May 29. 


🍃 Invasive Spongy Moths🐛 <= my data!

We had a helicopter go over the nearby lake. It is always a bit creepy since I associate them with emergencies. I asked on Facebook, and they are spraying BTK on the caterpillars. I hope all our butterflies and caterpillars are safe here. They were up about an hour. Our LDD Spongy Moth caterpillars have mostly died off. After a couple of years they get hit by a naturally occuring virus.

helicopter from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Public notices describe BTK as harmless to people, and non-toxic to insects, birds, fish, mammals, and adult moths and butterflies. However, this is misleading. BTK is not species-specific and, if consumed, will result in mortality of any butterfly or moth larvae at the time it is sprayed. BTK has been sprayed in several extremely rare Ontario habitats, such as oak savannah, oak woodland and tall grass prairie — which means it can also negatively affect many rare moths and butterflies that use these habitats.

I was quite happy to be able to sit on our back deck in the 31 C. weather. There were flies, but no mosquitoes or blackflies. I've been using Skin-so-soft when I go out to do the lawn. That certainly helps.  My left arm is covered in several blackfly bites, oozing little hives. Unlike mosquitoes, they land and immediately dig in. You just don't feel them.


There are ~5600 households with Ottawa Hydro still without power lo these 10 days. Some homes need to have individual repairs, as their neighbours are up, but they have household damage. What a mess it is. Ontario Hydro has about 7100 left to get reattached.

10 comments:

Tom said...

...it was hot here too!

Olga said...

You do get some great pictures of your bird population.

Christine said...

Nesting is a beautiful miracle

RedPat said...

We have baby Sparrows around but I haven't seen any young Robins yet.

Anvilcloud said...

No bites? Mosquitoes were lined up on my screen this morning. TG it held. 😀

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
SSS is recommended for Scottish midgies too - I've never actually tried that out because thankfully the Hutch is midge free! It's nice stuff though. I used to have it all the time in OZ and was never too bothered by mozzies. YAM xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw a robin in my yard who let me photograph him. Not seen a nest, though. Wow, that's a LOT of wood duck eggs. I sure hope some survive.

Goodness, I thought it took a long time to get MY electricity back on, but this is ridiculous. Glad your family is all together and safe, at least.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love your sweet birds, the young robin is adorable. I have had a few ticks bites but not a mosquito bite yet. Take care, enjoy your day!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely to see the young birds

Jeanie said...

Those black flies are ugly little critters, aren't they? And I am wild about your bird photos. The babies are darling. I hope my chickadees will soon fledge -- and that I'll see them, although I'll miss watching Mama Chick.