Saturday 21 May 2022

Cancer Treatment in Ottawa

 PART LXXXVIII –  May PSA test, and Lupron injection May 19th in Ottawa. Every 3 months this has to be done, at least once a year in Ottawa, since 2014. This has changed, since driving through snowstorms to Ottawa. We can get the injections here in winter. Next healthcare appointment will be a bone density scan this summer.  

It's a journey. With another good PSA test, we were ready for his quarterly Lupron injection. 

I prepared by having my toenails done! I anticipated sitting in the park, wearing my sandals, and taking some bird photos. I jinxed it.

We left at 9 a.m. in the pouring rain. Arrived home at 1:30. My bum was numb! Normally I can walk around the park.

There is construction everywhere, so we added 15 minutes to our departure time, for an 11 a.m. appointment! 


It didn't start out well, with delays here. It was like driving on fudge. This was 3 minutes sped up 3 x's. Just for fun!

road construction 3xs speed from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


It is provincial election season here, until June 2nd. We stopped for a pit stop near Manotick and I read the signs. 



I dropped JB off at the main entrance, and from there I went to the park – to park.

There was a bit of rain! I texted Caitlin my photo, then texted Happy 39th Birthday to son, Jesse, with my photo. I knew he could understand our rain, living in Vancouver.



 Ottawa Hospital patients, unless in a bad way, have to go in alone for appointments. Normally, this is a lovely park. I've seen gulls, crows, a kestrel, and song birds here. Not today! I sat and read a research paper, I review for the Action Research network. Normally, this is a lovely sit.
Someone was walking his rottweiler in the rain! There was some entertainment. Then there was the long-haired dude doing the grass.


Dreary it was, and lots of people parking on the street. I mean, why try to snag a $13 parking spot when you cannot enter the building. Somedays, before COVID, we'd have to wait for a parking spot. 



Did I mention it was a dreary drive?! 


Infill buildings intrigue me.

Josephine was competing here representing her high school in the pouring rain. It was at the Mooney's Bay Track & Field facility. She competed in javelin. But by now I was anxious to get home. JB's hip gets sore. It would have been fun to try to find her here, but we just weren't up to it.

Now, I dread the drive into the city. The drive out isn't as bad, usually. When you drive two hours to get to an appointment, you worry! As we traveled home on Riverside Dr., I noticed the signage. A 'high-risk collision' area. (Google screen capture.)

This dude, I assume it is a dude, passed us in the middle of the intersection. I made a complaint.


He wove in and out of traffic, in his big vehicle, dragging the trailer after him in the pouring rain. 


Ottawa traffic from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Nondescript photo, but I was happy the rain stopped. Finally. It began, again, nearer to home, but at least the road wasn't so slick.

This poor Smiths Falls building.

Rideau Ferry bridge repairs. 


JB went into the store for a 'beer run,' as well as other supplies. I waited for him. The bridge refurbishment is massive.
 

We arrived home, rested, put up our feet. Somebody has a sore hip, but that will ease up. After dinner, I ambled out onto the back deck to check the rain gauge before bed. Lo and behold: Junior Bear. (Spring bear hunting season is May 28 - June 11.) 


Bear May 19 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
The wet stuff does take the edge off travelling, eh? I commend you both for making the best of a bad lot! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

what a major drag! So sorry about your not being able to enjoy the park. Rain may be good for growing things, and filling creeks and rivers so we can drink it, but geese, it could have offered to wait a bit. Today we are due to start 3 days of intermittent storms. Ugh! I'm off early to hopefully do outdoor stuff while it's still dry!

DUTA said...

Nicely painted toenails!

RedPat said...

That sounds like an exhausting day.

Mae Travels said...

Rain in North America is challenging: too much in some places, none at all in others. Part drought, part Noah's flood. Sorry it spoiled your day in the park.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Good on getting his treatment done. Nice toenails.

Divers and Sundry said...

Brrrrr!!! It looks cold! Good luck on the bone density scan next year. That's a test I always worry about.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow that does look a dreary day and drive. Especially with all the construction. Normally I don't mind driving but not under those conditions.

I love your bear.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Done for another few months! I hate appointment days:(

Cloudia said...

Bless you my friend!

Red said...

Going for these distant appointments is the worst. You never are quite sure if you will be in time for the appointment.

DrumMajor said...

I'm in Kansas. What's "spring bear hunting?" Do your humans shoot bears, just like we do deer? I thought shooting bears was illegal. Linda in Kansas

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That is quite the account of a day in your life! At least you for your toenails done!

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad he had a good test and can get his treatment but what a bummer about the rain curtailing the park walking. And the ride looks horrendous with construction AND rain. But all went well in the end.