Tuesday 10 May 2022

Water fountain, goldfish pond, bird nests

 The water fountain I cleaned and filled. Next is the goldfish pond.

Goldfish pond repairs: The second liner I put in over the first hasn't cooperated. 

I'd sent JB in for some Flex Tape, which seems to work! I complained to Caitlin about the cost, what a rip off! But she made a fair point. It's cheaper than a new liner, and taking the pond apart to install it. The second one I bought at a yard sale. 

$16.99 for 4" x 5'

I put duct tape on it, but it's done its work, and given up the ghost. You can see it on the far side. The new stuff is really good. You can't really see it now. I think it looks pretty good. 

The first photo is last year, and the second is after repairs. I am hopeful.


It was a lovely day, getting up to 25 C.


I did some yard work. The bird bath is doing well.

This silly piece I've had for years. A momma bird and two baby birds, it rotates around a little cup, which has rusted. It's pretty when the wind blows. I've painted and repainted it due to rust. Putting this piece of glass on it has given it a new life! It is from an old lamp. I don't know why I kept it!



The horse chestnut leaves are popping! You can even see the blossom buds.

Our little red squirrel has been a hoot. Apparently, the leaf buds are yummy. They are soaked in sap and glisten in the sun.


The wild violets are a lovely carpet.

The daffodil garden is looking fine. 

JB and I put a baffle under the robin's nest. I accidentally captured us on the trailcam.


It's a good thing, as the raccoons can climb the post, too. Up top, Cinnamon watches the robin from above. I decided to move the BBQ over top. That'll fix him. 

Here are the three robin eggs. JB held the mirror while I took the photo with the videocamera.

While we had two Phoebe eggs, I checked yesterday, and there are now 3. I would expect 5. I'm also watching out for the cowbird, who popped an egg in one year! I'll keep you posted.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...there's always something to do and enjoy in spring.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun things you have in your garden. Do you have gold fish yet? Some around NC keep their fish all winter, even when the ponds ice over. And then they also have raccoons eating their fish. Love seeing the birds eggs. We've got several families nesting on my building...I hear the babies as soon as the sun is up!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I love that the Robin feels safe nesting right by you all!!! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Life is going on there. Much more modestly, we had a tulip open. 😎

Jeanie said...

You've been seriously busy. I really like your "silly piece." It's awfully cute and I bet it's fun in the wind!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Spring has arrived at Cottage Country and it looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing the joy and the adventures!

Nancy J said...

That tape is expensive down here too, but does the job. A friend uses it to mend her horse covers, I have used it on a large plastic bucket, and Hugh?? It lasts and lasts!!!I guess he always finds something to mend too. Love the garden with the spring flowers.

RedPat said...

I see baby birds in your future.

William Kendall said...

Daffodils have a way of spreading fast.

Red said...

It's good to see some spring weather and plants popping up.

Lorrie said...

I'm jealous of your 25 degrees. We hit 13 today and thought that a great improvement! Life is flourishing everywhere!

Divers and Sundry said...

Thanks for the flextape suggestion. I have a big, plastic plant saucer I use as a bird bath in the winter, and it has a split in the bottom that this might well fix. Yayeee!

Robins are a joy, aren't they :) We have a nest on our patio this year and hope the babies will be around a bit after they fledge. Cowbirds have such a pretty little call, but I'm not happy when I see them at our feeders.