Saturday 7 May 2022

Saturday's Critters

I'm close to stopping bird feeding, but the male and female rose-breasted grosbeaks have turned up. She was on top of the feeder, while he was on the bench in front of the window, taking a closer look at the blooming Orchid Cactus inside the window. I don't know if it was the colour that attracted him.

This was a fun shot! Plus, the squirrel and cowbird were able to share. The cowbird lets me get quite close, unlike the rest of the birds, chickadees aside!

 

Lovely colours on the cowbird.

cowbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Wood box numbers two and three. Surprisingly, they seem to have settled on box #3, having explored #2 earlier.

The third wood duck nesting box had downy feathers in it. I am hopeful for at least one brood! Here is the nesting box. I went back the day after, and there were more feathers.


wood duck nest box from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The brown creeper must have a nest down here. It is here every day. I researched their nests, and they just snuggle into or under the bark of a tree in a small cavity. I don't think I have a hope of finding it!

Brown creeper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I've moved the trailcam from the frogpond up to the backyard. Hooray Phoebe!  Their favourite perch in the daffodil garden. They are working on the nest, still, which is just off to the left, under the deck. After my workout, I spotted it with a wee branch in its beak.

Phoebe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This camera is such a dud. I know I'm not an award-winning photographer, though, and it is simply evidence of who goes there in the night, for the most part. I am having trouble keeping it charged with the internal battery, as we haven't had consistent sunshine. It requires backup batteries, as well, which have kept it going.

trailcam #3 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Oregano, our frequent visitor cat, appeared on the trailcam in the rain! 

Oregano cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


"Bears Annual Tug of War!" 
This is the drive belt from our old dryer that konked out. Someone repurposed it, in a moment of brilliant💡 clarity! It only cost us $120 to replace, better than $600 for a new machine. 

For more  critters, visit Eileen and our fellow animal lovers!

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh the bears are getting the belt to play with! Loved seeing the critters! It must be quite a job getting all these cameras organized!

Anvilcloud said...

It spices up my day to see Oregano although I didn’t really see him. I guess I saw his eyes, though.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You see so much there! We've taken down one of our feeders but we'll leave one up to watch the birds all summer. Happy weekend!

RedPat said...

Love the Grosbeaks.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Nice to see the bird and squirrel getting along.

Linda said...

Bird food is getting so expensive, we have cut back on the number of times per week we fill the feeders.

Mae Travels said...

Here in Michigan we are told not to supply bird feeders because avian flu can be spread from them, and it's infecting local birds. Of course we are obeying that directive. A terrible problem!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Karen said...

We noticed both pheobe parents working on the nest over the door today. I guess they finally made up their minds.
I switched out the chip on my trail camera this afternoon. 461 photos, one blue jay and one cat. The wind is a nuisance as ever little twitching branch sets it off.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

you have quite the collection of critters.

We have gone back to basics on washers and dryers. Simple, and sturdy, no electronics, and repairable. How many cycles does somebody need? I use two. Along with water temp and load level.

Angie said...

Jenn - you always have the most wonderful wildlife to share. If you are seeing grosbeaks, I hope to see them at my feeders soon!

Anu said...

Hello. Wonderful birds. Video of Braun creeper is my favorite.
Take care.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Iwas positive I left you a comment on Sat. critters, but it must not have published. Blogger is messing with my life.