Sunday 1 May 2022

I'm daffy for the daffies!

Things are hopping in our part of the world. The frogs are nearly done their mating season. The birds are still hot to trot. The wood frogs are done, the spring peepers still peep at night. Saturday we finished our frog surveys. More on that tomorrow. There is news from the south, as well!

Journey North

Great news, the monarchs who overwintered in Mexico, have bred, and new generations are making their way north. I've a great ton of milkweed, in a normal year. Thank you, Karen, for the offer of seeds, though.



The same is true for the hummers! They are up to Toronto and Montreal. It was zero overnight, again. I'll put the feeder out just in case. I haven't seen any, though. 




I love the birds! This sparrow graced me with its presence. Not bad for taking it through the window!

In the wetland, the marsh marigold is beginning to show. Eventually, it will look like the second photo. I may forget to snag a photo later!

These are the five sister. Although, they are down to four. Magnificent trees in their old age.


The daffodils are looking wonderful!

Again, I could have snapped an elegant, artistic macro photo, but I had a suitable one in the archives!

I took a video while we were walking. I spotted the chickadee coming out of this hole. The little thing didn't cooperate. You must imagine the little chickadee poking its head out and taking off! Can you do that?! It was sitting above my head, a little disturbed with us.

chickadee nest from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The northern flicker continues to be observed! I believe she is nesting in the dead elm tree. I shall keep watch.
 

northern flicker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I spotted this bird, and tried to photograph it to later ID it. hah! It did have a caterpillar, which it was whacking on the dead tree. The beginning of the video shows my forsythia beginning its bloom.

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad to see the yellow colors bursting forth for you. And hummers! And Monarchs too! Wonderful!

Tom said...

...and so am I!

Out To Pasture said...

Spring renewals. Wonderful! Could your mystery bird be a wren?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am SO sorry for not visiting sooner. I was by TWICE last week and was unable to publish. I kept getting a 503 error two days in a row. I did this several times on both days. I finally gave up because I was already so far behind. I wish I could have sent up a smoke signal or a note in a homing pigeon to let you know my problem. Thanks for stopping by even though I was unable to return the visit.

I love your daffs. I am so glad they are blooming in your world right now. I also enjoyed seeing the migration of the hummingbirds and the monarchs.

I have a question on a former video. How do you know the doe is pregnant. She doesn't look much different than her fawn.

I also saw you said you were putting your feeders away for the year. Won't feeding the birds through spring help the mother birds feed their babies, or is that something only adult birds eat? I really have NO idea about birds, as you might have noticed (grin).

Have a super Sunday, dear Jenn.

Nancy J said...

Golden Daffodils, spring has well and truly arrived. The birds know when to make their nests, and start gathering dry twigs. Or burrow a hole, I often think what a hard life they have, to build a home, find food, and then bid farewell to all the babies , at such a young age.

RedPat said...

The Daffodils seem to have blossomed overnight and they are so lovely.

Gaelyn said...

I love seeing your Spring, especially the daffodils, a personal favorite. I too have a Flicker with red stash. Look forward to the arrival of the butterflies and birds.

Olga said...

I think they are SPRING! Love daffodils.

Jenn Jilks said...

Could be a wren! It's a mystery.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for trying to comment, Elizabeth! I'm so sorry it didn't work out. You are kind to let me know you tried. That is all that counts!
Re: bird feeders, most of our nesting birds, the ones I see, eat bugs. Both the robins and the phoebes! We live in a rich forest, with tons of seeds, so it really doesn't make a difference. It does lure in the seed eating birds, having a feeder, but the bears really limit us! It is selfish to feed the birds, wanting to see them, and I cannot be selfish. There is avian flu going around, as well. So it is time.

Red said...

Your spring is well on the way to summer.

Anvilcloud said...

I am seeing some daffs around town.