Saturday 14 May 2022

We had a nocturnal visitor!

 It's been really hot. These are the last of my daffodils to bloom, down by the highway. It's been 33 C. for some strange reason.  In May. It is supposed to be SPRING!


They are so pretty, the little violets. 

The horse chestnut leaves are out! I love the way they look. Like a pouffy ballgown.

JB and I got dressed and went flower and plant shopping. I got his favourite thing: a hanging basket of cherry tomatoes. Also, fuschia, for the hummingbirds.

The iris are up!

The pumpkin, squash and zucchini are coming along. I'm hardening them off, popping them out in the daytime in the sun. Rain did an excellent post on that. We haven't had rain since May 4th. 



I have enjoyed my bird feeders. So has our turkey hen. 

She is a frequent flyer! She sat on the dirt pile for a sand bath.

Outside work is delightful, punctuated by the tree frog mating songs!

Guinivere is guarding the fenced garden. Sadly, she didn't do her job.

Bye bye bird feeder! Every morning I check it with baited breath. Last night was the night. The cats inspected it, sniffing like mad. I know what happened. It's happened before. I've been enjoying the birds so much, it's my own fault. I was monitoring the nearby community Facebook page for bear sightings and had heard nothing. I'll have to replace the post. It was bent from 2017, now it is REALLY bent!



This was July, 2017, and I haven't made that mistake until this year. I was so hopeful. 


Then there are the ticks. JB came in from his thrice-daily walk, and I noticed something on his head. Picking it off, I popped it into the jar with the rubbing alcohol. It's now dead as a doornail! 



10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I was going along nicely, then you had to mention ticks!!! YAM xx

Tom said...

...your place is busy at night!

Kathy G said...

Our weather has also been more like summer than spring. We set two new high temperature records this week.

RedPat said...

A tick on his head! Yuck.

Gaelyn said...

I was absolutely loving this until, the ticks. Lovely spring flowers that are going to a too soon summer. The turkey bath is fun. I guess you have a bear. Time to move the trail cam.

Anvilcloud said...

The weather has been ridiculous.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for inviting us. I love my visits

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm a city gal so don't get nearly the wildlife you do. I'm lovin' your photos. And bears! Yikes!

Olga said...

SOme visitors are more welcome than others.

Red said...

Spring is a great time with plants animals and birds being very active.