Wednesday 11 May 2022

So many critters!

 Butch raccoon, down on the dock! I was putting out cracked corn until we had a wood duck laying. They played in it!


Butch is quite busy amongst the daffies.

Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Cinnamon sunbathed during our walkies.

Another tulip amongst the daffodils, actually blooming. The deer have disappeared, it is birthing month. They take off for parts unknown. This is a good thing for my flowers.

First one! No, not a hummingbird, an oriole, but it was fun. My personal assistant bought us some oranges, just in case it comes back.

It had a conversation with the blackbird. It shuffled some seed around. Later that night, just before dark (no photo!), we had a real hummingbird. 


We have TWO male rose-breasted grosbeaks, as well as the female. I was so excited. I managed a photo of both at the same time, but it was pretty bad, through the window. 

The house wrens are back, as well. We've not had them nest here in my new bird houses since: house wren – 2019. I'll bet the holes aren't the right size. 

I was at the bathroom window, gazing out as I did my teeth, and hearing a bird I videotaped it. Playing it for BIRDnet, it was confirmed what it was (house wren ). 

Here is the wren from 3 years ago. 

house wren from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...yep, you live in critter central.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful variety of birds.
Take care, have a great day!

Olga said...

I love seeing your bird visitors.

DrumMajor said...

The wildlife is so blessed to have your protected area. LOVE Cinnamon's portrait in the sun. A very happy kitty. Linda in Kansas

Barbara Rogers said...

The sun hitting Cinnamon's head is just so sweet...my favorite for today!

Divers and Sundry said...

We've had an occasional raccoon on our patio, and I wouldn't mind that if they weren't the reason we have to keep our society finches inside year 'round now.

An oriole would be exciting! We had a rose-breasted grosbeak one year, and I was thrilled! Our little patio just doesn't have the attraction for them, in spite of the feeders and water. We've had carolina wrens nest in a watering can on our patio, but this year they're nesting next door. We do enjoy seeing the pert little dancing wrens at our feeders :) Fun to watch.

Nancy J said...

Cinnamon and one tulip, all a bonus for today's pics. And they are my picks too.

RedPat said...

I get thrilled with just a Robin or a Sparrow in my bird bath. You bird life is so diverse.

Christine said...

Loving the spring flowers!

Red said...

I'm amazed at all the apps available to identify birds, plants and more.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love your big fat raccoon. I got a sighting of one in your back yard and I'm starting to set the trailcam up again. So maybe I'll see it again.

William Kendall said...

That raccoon is a grand one.