Monday 11 April 2022

The grandies!

 The girls were coming! We made up a menu. Grampa shopped Friday morning. I asked for a ham that would give us leftovers. He went out to the store early Friday morning, and was standing there pondering the really large ham (which he likely couldn't lift) vs. a smaller one. While he did so, someone took off with the large one! He brought home two small ones. What the heck! Ya snooze, ya lose!

I had projects for us to do. When they arrived, they unpacked and we had lunch. 

Wood duck nesting box baffles

Out we went, having donned boots. I know the one wood duck nesting box overhangs the water. Into the wheelbarrow I'd put the baffles, which we were reusing. Some critter, or maybe the trees outgrew them, but I found them ripped off the tree in the fall. It was time to put them on, again. As well as refurbish the wood shavings in the boxes. I added the heavy duty stapler, extra staples, and the hammer, just in case the staples were stubborn.

We paused to listen at the top of the hill, as the wood frogs were singing for love. Once we got there, they all stopped singing. They float on the top of the water, and croak away. Once mating season is done, they'll take off into the woods.



As we worked, the frogs worked up to it again. Apparently, we weren't a threat after all.

Frogpond wood frogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Giving Josee the camera (I curated 198 photos of hers!), we set to reattached the baffles, and put in fresh wood shavings. 





♪♫♬  If I had a hammer!


Josephine takes the most marvellous close-ups.


Caitlin and I  took the wheelbarrow back up to the house. I thought I might set up the frog pond trailcamera. Anticipating the ducks arrival, I might as well record it. People on the nearby lake have found mergansers checking out their nesting boxes.

 Josee and Isabelle went around the pond to explore in the woods. 





Josee was inspired with the old wire fencing on lot #3.  This is her VIDEO: Embedded wire.



Eventually, we all got back to the house. We took apart my cherry blossom Christmas tree. I couldn't fix it, as much as I tried. Maybe I'll just get some light strings for next year, and drape them.

By the time we went to bed, the spring peepers were singing, as well.

17 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
What a lovely series of Images and Interactions! YAM xx
I=Introspection

Tom said...

...my granddaughter loves to pose too.

Barbara Rogers said...

What great photos of everything you all were doing...and then some!

Olga said...

Another photographer in the family! I always loved the peepers singing.

eileeninmd said...

Fun times with your grandchildren and family.
I have been enjoying our frog noises.

Anvilcloud said...

Kids a=have different eyes as they explore their worlds without too many preconceived ides.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The kids look interested and involved. All you can ask for!!
Logan used to take hundreds of photos with his camera and never had an interest in the results.

RedPat said...

It sounds like a fine time was had by all. And spring is definitely there at your place.

Nancy J said...

The visit!!! Choosing a ham might be like getting into a passing lane on the highway. He who hesitates is lost!!!Never mind, 2 small ones will fit into the oven more easily.What a delight that they can visit safely.Enjoy.XXX

Cloudia said...

Oh how nice

William Kendall said...

A busy day!

The Furry Gnome said...

Hope you have a good visit!

The Liberty Belle said...

Sounds like a perfect day. Blessings.

Christine said...

Lovely to have the girls over!

Red said...

By the lookin somebody's eyes, they're full of mischief. I like kids that are lively. Have fun

carol l mckenna said...

Oh the grands are growing up ~ Wow! ~ sweet photos and always great nature photos here ~ Xo


Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely post, it looks and sounds that you all had a great time.

All the best Jan