Thursday 7 April 2022

Host family, ditch diving

 The international news is awful. It's all anyone can do but weep at the atrocities. I found a lovely moment in Ottawa.

The news documented a family who escaped Ukraine March 4th, and arrived in Ottawa this week. The family hosting the desperate people live across the street from our old Nepean home. Caitlin spotted the house on the news. It was home to a wonderful senior couple back when we lived there. Mary and Ray were just a hoot, and looked after our cats when we went away. Mary had a heart of gold, and died from a brain tumour after we moved away. She would have been so happy to see this lovely family seeking refuge in her old home.

Pitch In

Our local lake association encourages us to pick up in the spring. They track who picks up and where to try and cover the area. Tim Horton's donates the bags for citizen garbage detail. 

Tuesday afternoon I went ditch diving again, having done it on the weekend. Just one bag full, that is all the energy I had. I was at this spot (below), when I noticed a white SUV stopped up above me on the highway. She opened her window, and the passenger yelled at me, thanking me for picking up the junk. I told her I was on bag #3, and just about done for the day.

It is ironic, that most of the crap was fast food garbage, including Tim Hortons cups. They know they are a problem. There were lots of beer cans, too. Sadly, several beer bottles were chucked out of the vehicles, and smashed on the rocks. I prefer the cans.


I am not done my duty, but it is pouring rain today, perhaps 20 mm rain. This is still left (below). I'm probably over half done, although it is endless. No sooner do you finish then you see more... I could have dragged this bag home, but I didn't have the energy. Maybe it will inspire someone.

🌷The yard

The goldfish pond is melting! The sun warms it quite nicely, and it was 18 C. on the front deck Wednesday. 

Mourning doves resting and having a drink.

🐻SNUGGLE Bears

I brought the bunnies up for April. They became reacquainted with the bears!


Another job done! The anchors had worn out, there was a hole in the wall, and I couldn't figure out how to reattach the curtain hook. I screwed a piece of wood to the stud, and that worked.

We still have mice friends. I wonder if this is the same mouse, or a tribe? They aren't sure about the camera. 

mice friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...it's long past the time for the world to come to the aid of Ukraine.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I am ashamed at Westminster's "efforts" for refugee relief... and Scotland's hands are tied on this one... YAM xx
F=Frilly

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was delighted to read that at least one family has made it out of Ukraine and landed in your country. Biden has promised aid for up to 100K families, but he is still trying to figure out how to get them in the country because of our laws against anyone entering. I have a guest bedroom, but it only has a full size bed, so I'm sure it wouldn't interest more than one person.

Glad at least one other person respects the work you are doing with the clean-up. I applaud your efforts, too, Jenn.

Karen said...

I'm loving this rain. Sadly the snow at the back of my house will still be here in May.

DrumMajor said...

How nice to see your bunnies being friends with the bears. The world needs more of that. Linda in Kansas

RedPat said...

You are so good to get out there cleaning up like that.

Nancy J said...

Down here, there are men employed by the local authority, if outside a town council area, and they clear the roadsides.Mice. maybe a tribe?Such wonderful news that families are given a home and security, and I am sure your friend would be so happy to know her home is giving happiness to the new family that has arrived there.

DeniseinVA said...

The news is horrifying! Your story, however, about the Ukrainian family, was heartwarming, and with its connection to the lovely people who lived here. I have heard several stories of people helping in many ways. I hope with all my heart that the country will know peace soon, but I fear this may be going on for a long time. I am applauding you for joining in with this clean-up project Jenn, and so nice of the lady to give you recognition. You deserve a medal! Good to see your pond with its ice melting, and the doves enjoying their drink. Your Snuggle Bears always make me smile. I have a similar situation with the hook in our bathroom and thank you for giving me that idea. Video was great too, and the mice :)

Anvilcloud said...

I think Sue and I were one of the few couples in the world who used travel mugs at Tims. Then C came along and no one uses them anymore. I wonder if they are gone for good. It’s a pity if that is the case, but maybe not as bad as all that since few used them anyway.

Red said...

Good for you to pick up garbage .

William Kendall said...

You do wonder what the mice make of cameras.

Jeanie said...

The news breaks my heart. I don't know if our city is getting any Ukrainian families but I am hoping we do. I have rather a lot I'd like to share.

The best thing Michigan ever did was put a bottle deposit on canned and bottled carbonated beverages and beer. (I think there is some talk about adding water bottles to it and they should). We save up our bottles, return for the deposit and see far fewer on the roads than we did before. I applaud your work on the roads. That's wonderful.