Friday 8 April 2022

Rainy WCF season

 We are moving into Spring! The sunshine was lovely Wednesday (18 C.). Thursday it poured, about 30 mm (over an inch). There was extensive cloud cover on the radar. Some days it dissipates over the land, others, no so much.


Wednesday, in the sunshine, I transplanted the as yet ungerminated forget-me-nots into the outside basket. They need cool weather (< 15 C.)  to germinate, which is why I've not been able to grow any indoors or out. Do you like my duct tape repair?! 

Cinnamon brought a prize. He dumped it on the driveway, quite pleased with himself. I released it. Then I carried Cinn into the house.


The daffodils have begun to appear! 


Nutmeg and her friend



It's time to begin the Western Chorus Frog (WCF) field survey. I created a page to keep track of it all. 
We have to wait for 3 things:
1. Temperatures above 10 C.
2. Little or no wind
3. No rain, or light rain.


None of that worked on Thursday, so I am out of luck. I have 4 places to survey locally. JB is my point man. He drives. I navigate. He parks, and read maps or a book, while I do my work. The season only lasts about 3 weeks. Then, they stop calling and mating season is done. 


It's good news, as this is a project we can do isolated from others. 

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Happy Spring to you! We are seeing many rainy days here, some cold mornings.

Love the cute frog. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Fun to have a project you can share so smoothly! Today, at last, we seem to be getting a bit of spring again and the cherry out back has got its leaves sprouting. That old one for some reason always leaves first THEN the blossom. It does last a bit longer than most too... YAM xx
G=Guru!

Barbara Rogers said...

Now that's quite a tiger! I would curl up an nap with it for sure!

Jeanie said...

Nutmeg's friend is a cutie. And if Lizzie brought home Cinnamon's catch I would be a mess!

RedPat said...

That is a big snake for a cat to carry. It must have been awkward.

Tom said...

...April showers bring May flowers!

William Kendall said...

I wonder what the cats think of the oversized kitty.

Red said...

Surprised garter snakes are out this early.

Anvilcloud said...

Those froggies are mighty particular about the weather.😀