Sunday 24 April 2022

Sunrise, Snuggle Bears, Springtails...

 Early one morning, I tried to capture the sunrise. The deer glared at me. I tried a couple of automatic settings, but unless I take some quick classes, this'll be the best I can do! Sadly, I'm forgetting what I've learned.


We are a family of readers! April 22nd:


I'm having trouble getting my frog count done. It's been too cold, or rainy. Then it clears, and next, I hurt my toe. (More on that later!) The rainbow flag is my favourite. The snow has since melted. I noticed the lichen growing on the gate just under the ribbons on the left. 

During walkies, Cinnamon had a pee and a poo! Good little lad! He is much like a shy dog and a gentle boi.


I don't know why he stared at the squirrel, and then me!



I heard a loud noise overhead. Running out to the front (JB ran to the back door), I videotaped a black helicopter flying south. Later, I heard another. This time a red one. 
Helicopter video:

helicopters from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


It was an event. Nothing on the flight radar, I was curious. After running to the door, scaring Nutmeg, running outside, I was coming back in after the second helicopter and stubbed my baby toe. Thing was, I was planning to treat myself to a pedicure this week. Now, it is very sore, and a lovely bruised colour. JB brought me an ice pack. 

Our little red!


The springtails are madly mating. There are millions of them and they are harmless to other critters! 
"Springtails are cryptozoa frequently found in leaf litter and other decaying material, where they are primarily detritivores and microbivores, and one of the main biological agents responsible for the control and the dissemination of soil microorganisms." – Wiki

springtails from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ouch... did my big toe similarly recently. Too much in a hurry to put my slippers on. Believe it or not, that was to try and crane through the window to see a helicopter circling the area. Not a usual sight, even pre-COVID! Heard it again this morning, but more distant. I guess there might be some sightseeing... or a bigwig visitor somewhere. We do get them in our remote wee corner from time to time. YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Pretty difficult to capture a sunrise on auto settings. Good try though.

Barbara Rogers said...

Love your stuffies all reading! And keep working on dawn photos...I think practice makes possible lots of things. Sorry about your toe.

DeniseinVA said...

Ouch on the sore toe, hope it heals quickly. I have never heard of springtails or cryptozoa before. I love coming here and learning such things. All the photos and videos are very enjoyable. Always interesting, thanks Jenn. Cute squirrels and he would be good friends with your Snuggle Bears :) Thank you for another very enjoyable post.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
I hope your toe is feeling better. Cute captures of your kitty and the squirrel. Take care, enjoy your day and happy new week!

RedPat said...

Love the wee Red Squirrel. Sorry about your toe.

William Kendall said...

The squirrel is adorable.

Kay said...

Ohhhh ouuuch! That looks very painful, Jenn!

Red said...

Spring tails! I'll say you've got spring tails.

Olga said...

I often learn something new from your posts. I hope to keep up with your bears!