Monday 25 April 2022

Serendipity – if a tree falls in the frogpond

 I'm still wrestling with getting the ducks on the frogpond on the camera! 

I managed to capture the deer. No ducks.

frogpond deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The camera on the dock bounces in the wind. It's on a pole inside the support post for the dock. I wedged a large stick in to keep it still. 


You can see the tree stump in the above photo. The stump has proven to be a great attractant. Cinnamon I videotaped walking along it. I posted that the other day. 

The pileated woodpecker has been after it. I noticed the wood shavings,  two holes, and reset the camera.



Sure enough, the pileated woodpecker was looking for bugs. It rained, the wood ducks were keen. Maybe the shavings looked like cracked corn?!

pileated woodpecker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Not only did the woodpecker like the stump, but the ducks thought the log required some inspection!

wood ducks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Then, Butch walked along the log. I picked them up on both cameras at the same time. The light from the one camera. I thought it quite artistic!

Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Good Monday morning. Have a good week.

Tom said...

...with our winds lately, many trees are falling over!

Karen said...

The windy days we've been having of late has filled my trail camera with a whole lot of nothing.
My father in law convinced me to move it back to that cedar tree where we had all the intersting visitors last week. He and I went trotting off to the bush to visit the site. He spied some interesting flora and fauna so off he went bushwacking. For an 80ish guy he can sure handle the woods well. Me, not so great, haha, show me the path.

Gaelyn said...

Cinnamon is amazing! I love your frog pond. And, I WANT a trail cam. Too cool!

RedPat said...

Activity never stops at your place.

DrumMajor said...

The fallen log has caused quite a commotion for the stars of your woodlife show! Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

Lots of company around for you.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Wood Ducks and Pileated Woodpeckers are a pair of decent companions in my book!

Red said...

This camera gave you a ready made story.