Friday 1 April 2022

Canada Revenue Agency and a foggy day

April 30th 2021 taxes are due. I've vented and ranted about Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), and our year long quest to resolve our issues. [💰Canada Revenue Agency😓]

Finally, I had a message that they would accept our medical receipts for 2020, if I uploaded them. This is good news, although we sent them via Canada Post, tracked and securely delivered to a Newfoundland office a year ago. 

I showed JB how to lay out the receipts for me, in order to scan them all. There were 14, but the most important ones were the cataract surgery I had. My $300/month healthcare plan doesn't cover this, nor does it cover my anxiety meds. 

You should have seen us! He was down the hallway in the office, and I'd yell down saying, 'next' and he'd replace it. He'd yell back, 'OK' and I'd scan them remotely on my laptop app. 

My troubles are nothing compared to many. But they do wear heavily on my psyche. I look at the damage in Ukraine, and simply cannot imagine. Man's inhumanity towards man. 

We found a local CA to do our taxes. I tried TurboTax for the 10th time this year, and we apparently owed $44,000+, so I am relieved. His office is in a retrofitted school, which didn't give me too many heebee jeebies! 

💰   💰   💰   💰   💰   💰   

OK, fun sign of spring this morning: 🐣PHOEBE was calling for love! He appeared for the first time on April 8th last year. (Archive photo above!) They usually nest in the shed or under the back deck.

☔  March Precipitation Summary  🌂   ⛅  

We've snow on the way today, Friday, and the big rain storm yesterday only gave us 3 mm rain. I'm OK with that. We've had a lot of cloudy days. Not at all what they had predicted.


If you examine my seed tray, you'll see three rows of ungerminated seeds. I checked the seed packet, and found out why my forget-me-nots haven't germinated. They prefer 15 C. temperatures, and I set the night time temps here to 16 C.! 


The cats weren't too pleased with yesterday's graupel, but they did have to inspect it.
 

There was a break in the clouds in the afternoon, the temperature went up to 16 C., when the sun shone. (It came and went!)


The temperature inversion caused evaporation. It was quite interesting.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...here it's April 15th!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ugh... I haven't had to deal with tax stuff in ten years... first I have been absent from my country of registration (OZ) and second, I anyway fall below the 'breadline bracket' which means non-compulsory submissions. I AM going to have to shift stuff all here to the UK soon enough. When dad's estate is finalised it will require it. Ugh again. YAM xx
A=Arrival

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes, as Tom pointed out, April 15 our taxes are due. And we don't get medical help from our govt., either. Lucky you. Well, sort of anyway!

Mae Travels said...

Tax accounting is a profession that none of us signed up for, but we all have to perform the duties and accept the responsibilities. Why don't they force some of us to be other professions? I'd rather be required to act as a concert pianist or an auto mechanic, both of which I have just as little aptitude for as accounting.

good luck with all that... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Glad you found an accountant!

Linda said...

Wondering why your cataract surgery wasn't covered by OHIP, unless changes since I had mine done. That is a lot for monthly coverage when some things aren't covered. Taxes are a pain, we always owe, thanks to a British pension, so never pay till the last day.

Nancy J said...

I would be in a massive panic if an accountant found that much for me to pay!!! This coming year, maybe scan as the receipts come in, and have a special file for them all. Many years ago I had to do all our accounts, balance, profit and loss, etc., and found I managed a lot better if I did it from each bank statement, way back then. Now everything would be online, but we are thankfully all finished with that.Self employed people need a Chartered accountant now, or be very adept at doing it all themselves. Roll on your next batch of seeds.

Jenn Jilks said...

@Linda you have to remember that JB has cancer and cancer treatments. I need to be the driver. During July 2021 all elective surgeries were cancelled in Ontario. I'd had an appointment for August, and it was cancelled. I had to do it privately for our peace of mind.

Jenn Jilks said...

Actually, that was 2020 my eye surgery: during prime COVID times. Part of it was for cataracts, the other part to put in a lens. It seemed the wise thing to do.

William Kendall said...

That before and after image in Ukraine speaks volumes.

Anvilcloud said...

I hope your CRA pains are coming to an end.

Jeanie said...

Your scanning sounds like a team project! I hope all that settles and soon. How frustrating.

It's awfully cold here. I'm just dying to put away my fleece!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Tax stuff gives me the big anxieties and I'm not prone to anxiety. We hired a very good tax guy years ago but we still have to gather the information for him.

Ukraine gives me anxiety as well. Those poor people did nothing to deserve the attack.

Lorrie said...

We're working on our taxes these days, too. Fortunately, I don't do much at all as my husband likes that sort of thing. Ukraine news is more devastating each day.