Saturday 9 April 2022

Saturday Critters

I am delighted to see the critters out and about. We had a ton of rain on Thursday. This will result in lots more melting, and they warn of high water levels. It means food is much more readily available for the critters, as the snow is nearly gone. 

Walking down by the wetland, I found my first wood frog of the season. Soon they will dominate the frog pond, as they sing for love. Also, it's Western Chorus Frog (WCF) season. Soon they will be calling. We are participating in the WCF field surveys locally. 

You can see the pile of snow, now gone, from where I shovelled the upper deck.

 

Butch raccoon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

All new year (I mean 2022!) we've had 6 turkey hens. A couple of weeks ago, a male came by. Then another. Now we've the 6 hens and 3 toms. They are so much fun to watch. No longer do they have to huddle in the snow and the cold.

They really are a hoot. One runs, then another, and another, FOMO!

wild turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon went out early Tuesday afternoon and would not come in. I went to bed at 10 p.m., and read until 11. I got up and called for him at that time. (At least there aren't many birds about.) However, he did appear on the trailcam at 11:10. Twerp. JB got up to powder his nose, and yelled for him. In he came about 2:30. He was on the trailcam in the backyard around 1 a.m., followed later by (I think) a fox. It's a busy yard.

Cinn & fox from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Of course, there are many mice friends in the night. 


Mice friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

For more critters: visit Eileen



13 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It's almost impossible to watch turkeys and not smile!!! YAM xx
H=Hope

Anvilcloud said...

Life returns. Enjoy the frogs and other critters too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The critters do love your yard. I would love to see all those turkeys in my yard. Love the cute wood frog. Great photos and videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

RedPat said...

It is good to see the frogs out and about. Glad Cinnamon came in finally.

Tom said...

...I haven't seen or heard a peep out of any frog yet.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We saw a raccoon in our courtyard this week. I guess they live all over the continent! Love your videos! Always something neat to see there.

William Kendall said...

Such a little frog.

Nancy J said...

Cinnamon, maybe the nights are not too cold and out and about is the thing to do.Although it still seemed cold to me.!!The Fox?? Maybe, too quick for my eyes,. And the turkeys, having a great time.

Red said...

Great new header. I had to look to see whose blog I was on!

The Furry Gnome said...

It would be nice to see some Wild Turkies

NatureFootstep said...

I love to see frogs but rarely do. Guess I live in the wrong place. :(

Yvonne said...

I love your little wood frog photo. Makes me miss my pond a bit. Your trail cams are always interesting to watch. Turkeys do make a pleasant sight to behold. I used to see them quite often from my office window when I worked in a state park. Over time we would see them with less and less chicks, some critters dinner most likely, but some did make it to adults. Always fun to watch them feed and take dirt baths.

Jeanie said...

I love how you have the frog pond and chart the wildlife in your area. That's a wonderful pic.