Saturday 30 April 2022

Saturday's Critters

Pond life

These are teeny critters! The pond is coming alive:  I love these little creatures: amphipodAKA: freshwater fairy shrimp.


Mosquito larvae – from my old macro lens days!


Fairy shrimp and mosquito larvae! 

frog pond action from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Yellow-bellied sapsucker

Cinnamon and I were wetland walking on the shoreline, just beyond the trailcamera. I noticed a yellow-bellied bashing away at the tree. (This is the bird that bangs on the satellite tower to call for a mate!)

yellow-bellied sapsucker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Moving over to the tree, once it had flown, I could see why they call it that! The sap was oozing out of the holes. 


The trailcam tails

Not too far away, the trailcam showed a pregnant doe and her last year's juvenile.

pregnant doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Then, there is the porcupine!

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The wood ducks walk between the frog pond and the wetland. 

wood ducks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Here is the turkey in his splendor. I don't know what triggers him to display. He went by another time, the second part of the video, and did not. His colours are amazing. Hormones on legs!

wild turkey from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Thanks to Eileen for hosting Saturday's Critters # 437!

13 comments:

Tom said...

...once again the turkey is my favorite.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That Tom Turkey is something else! He gets everyone's attention! And fairy shrimp are very cute. My boys sent off for some that were in a magazine ad years ago. Add water and get fairies! heehee!

Jeanie said...

That amphipod is very interesting. Love seeing the sap flow!

Cloudia said...

You are so amazing living such an amazing place!

RedPat said...

That turkey is really something.

Nancy J said...

Maybe Sergeant Turkey found his lady in the first strut past, and was exhausted by the time he did the second slow walk. His tail is magnificent!!!!

Karen said...

I'm sure one of our does is pregnant too. The other probably not, I suspect her daughter from last year.
I haven't seen the male turkey in full splendor yet but M. said he was out showing off early this AM.
Do you need some milkweed seed? I collected all the seed remaining when I raked the patch and cleared it up yesterday. If you do, send me a private message via our FB.

Red said...

Tom turkeys put on an impressive display.

Anu said...

Hello.
Those little shrimps looks fun. The turkey is awesome. Wonderful videos.

DrumMajor said...

The porcupine looks like he's all black. I thought they were black and white. Of course, Mr. Turkey knows there is a camera on his walk and must fluff up his feathers for the camera! He does seem pretty big. Linda in Kansas

Anvilcloud said...

The woods are coming alive

NatureFootstep said...

interesting. About your doe. I did see a pregnant roe-deer doe today. She will probably give birth any time now. I would really love to see the newborn, but they use to hide them well so I probably will not.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Never seen a mosquito larvae this close. Great macro capture!