Friday 22 April 2022

Happy trails abound!

The frogpond is waking up. The ice and snow are gone.


I looked out the kitchen window, and spotted a pair of wood ducks. It would have been a better photo if a) I'd cleaned the window, b) used the tripod, but it was a brief moment, captured for posterity. I've encountered a pair around the wetland, not at the frogpond, and wondered at placing one of the wood deck nesting boxes in a different spot.


This is great wood duck habitat, with lots of wood frogs singing at the point.

wood frogs at the point from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I've set up the oldest trailcam at the end of the frogpond. It is a popular path for the deer walking around the wetland. It's not a bad video, all told. 

doe a deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had a porcupine come through, and then two go back the way they came. In the first clip, it is snowing. In the second, you can see their cute waddling as they motor back along their way.

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Along came the red fox. I could have shortened the clip, but like the previous clip, you can hear the spring peepers calling for love! It is such an iconic sound.

forest fox from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I've been watching the northern flicker. I think it is nesting in one of the big dead elm trees. I love hearing them call around the permieter of their area. They will start at the front, go to the backyard and call.

flicker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love the Wood Ducks and the deer. Great videos. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Tom said...

...it's nice to be out and about.

Anvilcloud said...

How great to see mergansers from your window. I have only seen them once in my whole life.

Karen said...

no sign of our flickers yet, though their robin neighbours are busy nest building and feeding. No froggie chorus yet either. hmmmm

Jeanie said...

Wood ducks are such beauties. I rarely see them where I go!

RedPat said...

I actually saw a pair of Wood Ducks this morning at James Gardens. They are so attractive.

Nancy J said...

A lot of traffic on the tracks through the trees, and birds calling, no snow, spring has arrived.Loved the fox and his bushy tail.

William Kendall said...

Porcupines are such fascinating critters.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for sharing these wonders with us dear

The Furry Gnome said...

You must live on the most interesting property!

DrumMajor said...

I didn't know porcupines waddled so much. Hope the fox an deer don't bother them! Linda in Kansas

Anu said...

Hello. Those Wood ducks are really beautiful birds.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Jeanie said...

What a delight to see the frog pond wake up! And LOVE the wood ducks!

Shiju Sugunan said...

The wood duck photo is not bad. I liked the deer and fox videos. The spring peeper’s call is interesting.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, the beautyful wood ducks. I have never seen any, but they looks so beautiful. :)

And the pretty deer of course. :)