Wednesday 13 April 2022

Western Chorus Frog survey #1

April 11th 

I didn't believe them! I was sent the email on April 7th, but we just weren't warm enough, it had to be 10 C. They sent another message Monday morning saying that we are opened up for the season across southern and southeastern Ontario. This is the area (see map) where people are surveying through Blazing Star Environmental. Here is the information about the Western Chorus Frog survey. These frogs range from here up to Huntsville, to western Quebec.


After ditch digging on Monday morning, I thought we could take at a bit of a drive. 

Having mapped out the 4 spots, printed off the materials, printed an extra 'incidental' sheet in case we come across some of them at other than assigned sites, we were ready to go. The spot were all fairly close to home, unlike previous years where we were able to take long, lovely drives. [Western Chorus Frog Survey 2021; Frog hunting 2020]

I navigated, and we made it to site #4, first. It was in town, and I was dubious. There was a teeny creek, with a bridge, but the running water was too fast for frogs. 

Site #3 was next. It was even worse. A kind gentleman, coming out of his driveway in his pick up, asked if he could help me. I said we were just doing a frog survey! He said, "OK, you're on your own!" That said, I couldn't find any water!

Site #2 was another bust. No water anywhere near my site marker. 


This was near the beginning of the road, not near the marker.

Site #1 was where I had asked to go, the other sites were assigned. There were froggies chirping!!! I was so happy. Not only that, but I spotted a pair of wood ducks, coyote scat, and beaver damage to the trees around the quarry. 

The first thing I spotted was beaver damage! I don't think there is any running water at the quarry!


This is a vernal pond, and it is where the froggies were singing. The beaver damage was immense.



I walked back to the quarry, JB parked there, and there was litter everywhere. The quarry didn't have any birds at all. 




western chorus frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo:


quarry from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo

 

To answer your question, re: putting out the garbage, AC: we have a two-bag limit, with a sticker required for additional bags. The yellow bags are specifically for ditch trash, which the local Otty Lake community coordinates. They don't charge us for them and they are free to pick up at the municipal office. I've put out 6 bags in total, but since there was garbage out at the road, I put it out at a neighbour's house rather than dragging it home along the highway. It was picked up an hour later.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...a number of years ago the beaver were very active here.

Olga said...

Third time's the charm once again.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Love that sound; never really thought of frogs chirruping rather than rivetting! (Thankfully, today, the commenting issue seems to have cleared...) YAM xx
K=Kalu Yuga

RedPat said...

I'm glad that you found some frogs.

Gaelyn said...

Wow, how cool that beavers are building there. Love the frog songs.

Ontario Wanderer said...

We have mostly Spring Peepers and Wood Frogs right now but I have heard a few that i thought were Chorus Frogs. I am not sure if they are "Western Chorus Frogs."

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness, all those trees felled by the beaver is amazing to see. We get them here but I don't think I have seen so many downed trees. The frog song video is fun to listen to.

William Kendall said...

Those little frogs make a lot of noise.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed hearing the frogs singing and seeing the results of the beavers, too. You are amazing in the amount of nature inspired things you do.

Anvilcloud said...

Answered. Thanks.

Jeanie said...

How exciting! I do love the sound!

Kay said...

Wow! It's so amazing to see how beavers can bring down trees like that.